* Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
@ 1998-02-27 10:08 Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-02-27 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

When plugged, what happen if you do a g and forget to make a Js? will the new
article be retrive on the next Js (following another g?)

In other words if, when plugged, I do:

g Jj wait a while Jj g Js Jj

will the Js retrieve the article which were newly "found" by the first g?

On another, may be related, issue; last night, I ended up with many articles
in my summaries marked with: @ . When trying to select them, gnus complained
that these articles had been deleted or canceled. This is not the first time
this happen to me... but there were many articles like this last night, and
I wonder if these articles could have been "badly" retrieved, due to the
aforementioned question.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Francois Felix INGRAND     "La guerre, qu'on voit danser le long des golfes

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
@ 1998-02-27 12:19 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-27 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@laas.fr> writes:

> When plugged, what happen if you do a g and forget to make a Js? will the new
> article be retrive on the next Js (following another g?)

Yes.

> On another, may be related, issue; last night, I ended up with many articles
> in my summaries marked with: @ . When trying to select them, gnus complained
> that these articles had been deleted or canceled. This is not the first time
> this happen to me... but there were many articles like this last night, and
> I wonder if these articles could have been "badly" retrieved, due to the
> aforementioned question.

If they were marked with "@", that means that Gnus had decided to just
download the headers, and not the articles themselves.  If you are
dissatisfied with Gnus' decision, you should tell Gnus by modifying
the category download predicate.

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
@ 1998-02-27 16:03   ` Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-02-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > On another, may be related, issue; last night, I ended up with many articles
> > in my summaries marked with: @ . When trying to select them, gnus complained
> > that these articles had been deleted or canceled. This is not the first time
> > this happen to me... but there were many articles like this last night, and
> > I wonder if these articles could have been "badly" retrieved, due to the
> > aforementioned question.
>
> If they were marked with "@", that means that Gnus had decided to just
> download the headers, and not the articles themselves.  If you are
> dissatisfied with Gnus' decision, you should tell Gnus by modifying
> the category download predicate.

Hum... I have no category defined... :-( My guess is that for some reasons,
the downloading of the article body got interupted or something like that.

Thanks,

Any news on the nntp+server agent bug?
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

@ 1998-02-27 17:46   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-02-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> When plugged, what happen if you do a g and forget to make a Js?
>> will the new article be retrive on the next Js (following another
>> g?)

LMI> Yes.

Although, Lars, I've noticed another problem with the agent where the
summary buffers get confused when you do a 'g J s', time passes, 'g J
j', enter group.

I think the new articles fetched by the last g are not shown (if I
remember correctly) at all.  I guess gnus doesn't have the headers, so
this makes some sense.  However, I think that when you do a catch up
(in the summary buffer, not the group buffer) it marks the new ones
(not shown) as read as well, which is wrong.  I'm pulling most of this
from memory as I noticed it last month or something like that and
never submitted a bug report.  Anyway, the entry to the problem is the
same if the actual problem description is not quite correct.

LMI> If they were marked with "@", that means that Gnus had decided to
LMI> just download the headers, and not the articles themselves.  If
LMI> you are dissatisfied with Gnus' decision, you should tell Gnus by
LMI> modifying the category download predicate.

And hence my suggestion to at least mark them as % on an attempted
read command with a following (message "... marked for download").

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-28  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@laas.fr> writes:

> Hum... I have no category defined... :-(

Sure you have.  It's the `default' category.

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-28  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Although, Lars, I've noticed another problem with the agent where the
> summary buffers get confused when you do a 'g J s', time passes, 'g J
> j', enter group.

They don't get confused; Gnus just assumes that all articles it can't
get headers from are cancelled/expired, so it marks them as read.
This is sub-optimal behavior for an offline news reader.  I think
Agent should fiddle some more with its active file.

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
@ 1998-03-02  9:40       ` Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-03-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@laas.fr> writes:
>
> > Hum... I have no category defined... :-(
>
> Sure you have.  It's the `default' category.

OK... you win... So why would the default (which has not been changed in any
way by me) category decide not to download some articles?
"Did you realize that 2001: Space Odyssey is 30 years old..."
Professional: http://www.laas.fr/~felix         mailto:felix@laas.fr
Personal: http://worldserver.oleane.com/felix   mailto:felix@dial.oleane.com

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
@ 1998-03-02 16:35       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-03-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> They don't get confused; Gnus just assumes that all articles it
Lars> can't get headers from are cancelled/expired, so it marks them
Lars> as read.  This is sub-optimal behavior for an offline news
Lars> reader.  I think Agent should fiddle some more with its active
Lars> file.

Does this mean your planning on working on it then I hope?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@laas.fr> writes:

> OK... you win... So why would the default (which has not been changed in any
> way by me) category decide not to download some articles?

The default category is `short', which means that only articles that
are shorter than 100 lines are downloaded automatically.

* Re: Quassia, Agent mode, what happens if you forget Js after a g when plugged?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Lars> They don't get confused; Gnus just assumes that all articles it
> Lars> can't get headers from are cancelled/expired, so it marks them
> Lars> as read.  This is sub-optimal behavior for an offline news
> Lars> reader.  I think Agent should fiddle some more with its active
> Lars> file.
>
> Does this mean your planning on working on it then I hope?

Uhm.  I think so.