* who is unsetting local-abbrev-table in message.el?
@ 1997-12-24 18:07 Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1997-12-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got tired of typing the same things over and over again in my
mail.  I've never used abbrev modes before, but I scanned the elisp
manual and "text-mode" enough to the point where I think I got it.

So I added to my .gnus.el the following:

    (defun MERLYN-message-mode-hook ()
      (define-abbrev-table 'message-mode-abbrev-table
	'(
	  ("uwt" "http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques" nil 0)
	  ))
      (setq local-abbrev-table message-mode-abbrev-table)
      (abbrev-mode 1))
    (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'MERLYN-message-mode-hook)

And sure enough, the next time I went into message mode for a compose,
mode-line says abbrev is on, message-mode-mode-abbrev-table looked
fine, *but* local-abbrev-table was nil!  How come?  How many times do
I have to set it? :-)

I suppose the workaround is to add my abbrevs to the text-mode abbrev
table (which it seems to want to do by default), but I'd rather not.
It'd be nicer to understand why this doesn't work first.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me