* gnus-propagate-marks default
@ 2011-04-05 20:44 David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-04-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

After upgrading Gnus again, emacs-w3m nnshimbun's unread count
broke. The reason is that gnus-propagate-marks was flipped to 'nil'. I
must admit I don't really understand how this is supposed to work -
shouldn't this be configured in each backend? This way, nnshimbun
somehow manages to save a marks file saying '((read))' and cannot update
it anymore.

-David

* Re: gnus-propagate-marks default
@ 2011-04-06  0:21 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-06  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> After upgrading Gnus again, emacs-w3m nnshimbun's unread count
> broke. The reason is that gnus-propagate-marks was flipped to 'nil'. I
> must admit I don't really understand how this is supposed to work -
> shouldn't this be configured in each backend? This way, nnshimbun
> somehow manages to save a marks file saying '((read))' and cannot update
> it anymore.

If nnshimbun has "real" server marks (like nnimap), then it should add
`server-marks' to the entry in `gnus-valid-select-methods'.

* Re: gnus-propagate-marks default
@ 2011-04-06 19:14   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-04-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> After upgrading Gnus again, emacs-w3m nnshimbun's unread count
>> broke. The reason is that gnus-propagate-marks was flipped to 'nil'. I
>> must admit I don't really understand how this is supposed to work -
>> shouldn't this be configured in each backend? This way, nnshimbun
>> somehow manages to save a marks file saying '((read))' and cannot update
>> it anymore.
>
> If nnshimbun has "real" server marks (like nnimap), then it should add
> `server-marks' to the entry in `gnus-valid-select-methods'.

Indeed, nnshimbun doesn't have server-marks in its select method. Adding
it fixes the problem; I'll bring this issue to the emacs-w3m list.

-David