* Problem with filling and hard newlines in message-mode
@ 2010-09-06 10:28 Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-09-06 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi folks,

I've recently discovered a problem in message-mode and I don't
know how to solve it.

Some of e-mail got all auto-refilled when I sent them. I think I
got the culprit in my configuration:
        (use-hard-newlines 1 'never)
in message-mode-hook.

That means I use hard newlines for filling, which I like to. The
problem is that sometimes I paste text in the message, and since
that text is pasted and not _inserted with my keyboard_, there is
not hard new lines on that part.

When I press C-c C-c, `fill-paragraph' is run on the whole message
(from where?), and all the part of text I pasted is all messed up
since there's no hard-newlines.

Is there anything I can do to stop that?

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: Problem with filling and hard newlines in message-mode
@ 2010-09-06 20:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-06 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> Some of e-mail got all auto-refilled when I sent them. I think I got
> the culprit in my configuration:
>        (use-hard-newlines 1 'never)
> in message-mode-hook.
>
> That means I use hard newlines for filling, which I like to. The
> problem is that sometimes I paste text in the message, and since that
> text is pasted and not _inserted with my keyboard_, there is not hard
> new lines on that part.

Hm.  Should the Message citation yanking function mark the text as
having hard newlines if this setting is in effect, perhaps?  How does
one mark a region as having hard newlines?

* Re: Problem with filling and hard newlines in message-mode
@ 2010-09-07  7:32   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-09-07  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Sep 06 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Hm.  Should the Message citation yanking function mark the text as
> having hard newlines if this setting is in effect, perhaps?  How does
> one mark a region as having hard newlines?

Intercepting `yank' and adding hard newlines may be a fix, but I don't
know if it's the easiest and more obvious one.

Removing the final `fill-region' or whatever is called when pressing C-c
C-c might be enough. I'm just not sure what is exactly done when
pressing C-c C-c. Maybe I should try `debug-on-entry'. :)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-07 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> Removing the final `fill-region' or whatever is called when pressing C-c
> C-c might be enough. I'm just not sure what is exactly done when
> pressing C-c C-c. Maybe I should try `debug-on-entry'. :)

Please go ahead.  :-)

* Re: Problem with filling and hard newlines in message-mode
@ 2010-09-09 19:42       ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-09-09 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 07 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:
>
>> Removing the final `fill-region' or whatever is called when pressing C-c
>> C-c might be enough. I'm just not sure what is exactly done when
>> pressing C-c C-c. Maybe I should try `debug-on-entry'. :)
>
> Please go ahead.  :-)

I did it. And it is not what I think it is.

It seems that if the buffer has hard newlines, the mail is encoded using
format=flowed. And that make my message totally weird. This seems to be
old and I never heard about this `flowed' stuff.

Does it ring a bell? I can sent such a message to the list if needed.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-10 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> It seems that if the buffer has hard newlines, the mail is encoded using
> format=flowed. And that make my message totally weird. This seems to be
> old and I never heard about this `flowed' stuff.
>
> Does it ring a bell? I can sent such a message to the list if needed.

Yes, format=flowed is old, well-known stuff.