* `gnus-mode-non-string-length' default value change
@ 2010-09-04 20:34 Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-09-04 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

What was the reason for changing `gnus-mode-non-string-length' from nil
to 30? For me it breaks the time string in the mode line
(`display-time-mode')[1], so I set it back to nil.

[1] Instead of the time string I just get whitespace all the way to the
right where the buffer position information appears.

Štěpán

* Re: `gnus-mode-non-string-length' default value change
@ 2010-09-04 20:43 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-04 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:

> What was the reason for changing `gnus-mode-non-string-length' from nil
> to 30? For me it breaks the time string in the mode line
> (`display-time-mode')[1], so I set it back to nil.

But if that variable is nil, doesn't long subject headers push
everything else out to the right?

> [1] Instead of the time string I just get whitespace all the way to the
> right where the buffer position information appears.

I don't get that...

* Re: `gnus-mode-non-string-length' default value change
@ 2010-09-04 21:34   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-09-04 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:
>> What was the reason for changing `gnus-mode-non-string-length' from nil
>> to 30? For me it breaks the time string in the mode line
>> (`display-time-mode')[1], so I set it back to nil.

LMI> But if that variable is nil, doesn't long subject headers push
LMI> everything else out to the right?

>> [1] Instead of the time string I just get whitespace all the way to the
>> right where the buffer position information appears.

LMI> I don't get that...

For me having it set to 30 pushed the rest of the mode line out to the
right even when the part gnus would normally use is short.

Ie, I had a lot of white space when first reading Štěpán’s message,
enough that I almost didn't notice the rest of the modeline data
starting way out around column 144 or so.

Nil does work better here.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: `gnus-mode-non-string-length' default value change
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-04 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> For me having it set to 30 pushed the rest of the mode line out to the
> right even when the part gnus would normally use is short.
>
> Ie, I had a lot of white space when first reading Štěpán’s message,
> enough that I almost didn't notice the rest of the modeline data
> starting way out around column 144 or so.

Hm.  I think I must be looking at something else here or something, or
just misunderstanding how that variable is supposed to work.  :-)

I mean, his subject header was 54 characters, so wasn't it just chopped
at 30 characters, leaving lots of room for the rest of the stuff in the
mode line?  Could you post images of the mode line to let me know what
it looks like for you with the two settings?

* Re: `gnus-mode-non-string-length' default value change
@ 2010-09-05 19:37       ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-09-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> Hm.  I think I must be looking at something else here or something, or
LMI> just misunderstanding how that variable is supposed to work.  :-)

LMI> I mean, his subject header was 54 characters, so wasn't it just chopped
LMI> at 30 characters, leaving lots of room for the rest of the stuff in the
LMI> mode line?  Could you post images of the mode line to let me know what
LMI> it looks like for you with the two settings?

First, it affects the summary mode line, too.

Here is the summary line with nil:

[-- Attachment #2: nil.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 6149 bytes --]

And with 30:

[-- Attachment #4: 30.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5187 bytes --]

The article mode line worked the same; (gnus-mode-non-string-length)
blanks after the gnus info and before the rest of the mode line.

-JimC

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-05 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> First, it affects the summary mode line, too.
>
> Here is the summary line with nil:
>
> And with 30:

Oh, I see.  Hm.  Yes, that's all wrong.

There's two bugs:

The code tries to find out what the length of the bits that arent the
mode string is, which is what `gnus-mode-non-string-length' means --
it's the length of the other bits that should be displayed (to the
right).  But that should be done dynamically, and not based on a
constant like 30.  I'm not sure how to fix that, though.

The second bug is that it pads the string before using it, and that's
totally meaningless.  I've now changed that (and pushed it out), while I
see whether there's a way to get at the actual length of the bits in the
mode line...