* New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-15 19:55 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-01-15 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.  I added a new binding `W i' in summary buffers, that decode IDNA
names inside articles.  It works if you have GNU Libidn installed
("idn" command line tool.)

Sample: xn--rksmrgs-5wao1o.xn--blbrsgrt-2zai7q

I didn't really test it much, so feel free to say that it is
completely broken or that it would be much better to implement it in
some other way.

Thanks.

** International host names (IDNA) can now be decoded inside article
bodies using `W i' (`gnus-summary-idna-message').

`W i'
     Decode IDNA encoded domain names in the current articles.  IDNA
     encoded domain names looks like `xn--bar'.  If a string remain
     unencoded after running this function, it is likely an invalid IDNA
     string (`xn--bar' is invalid).

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-16 10:47 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-01-16 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 jan 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Hi. I added a new binding `W i' in summary buffers, that decode
> IDNA names inside articles. It works if you have GNU Libidn
> installed ("idn" command line tool.)

Is it normal that my gnus is trying to fire up "idna" ?

--
Hacker Wonderland      Xavier Maillard| "Stand Back! I'm a programmer!"
.0.                 zedek@gnu-rox.orgz|

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-16 12:24   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-01-16 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On 15 jan 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Hi. I added a new binding `W i' in summary buffers, that decode
>> IDNA names inside articles. It works if you have GNU Libidn
>> installed ("idn" command line tool.)
>
> Is it normal that my gnus is trying to fire up "idna" ?

You mean "idn"?  If so, yes.

You may end up having two processes running, one for ToASCII and one
for ToUnicode.

The processes should be killed silently when Emacs quit, and you may
kill them at any time without disturbing Gnus (they will be restarted
when needed).

Are you getting any error messages?  Perhaps I didn't try it without
libidn installed.

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-16 16:35     ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2005-01-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
>> On 15 jan 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. I added a new binding `W i' in summary buffers, that decode
>>> IDNA names inside articles. It works if you have GNU Libidn
>>> installed ("idn" command line tool.)
>>
>> Is it normal that my gnus is trying to fire up "idna" ?
>
> You mean "idn"?  If so, yes.

i get an error message:

  gnus-summary-idna-message: Cannot open load file: idna

m.

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-16 17:37       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-01-16 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael Cook <michael@waxrat.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

>>> Is it normal that my gnus is trying to fire up "idna" ?
>>
>> You mean "idn"?  If so, yes.
>
> i get an error message:
>
>   gnus-summary-idna-message: Cannot open load file: idna

Ouch, yes.  Better now?

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-16 18:24         ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 2005-01-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Michael Cook <michael@waxrat.com> writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>>> You mean "idn"?  If so, yes.
>>
>> i get an error message:
>>
>>   gnus-summary-idna-message: Cannot open load file: idna
>
> Ouch, yes.  Better now?

a little, i suppose.  now i get:

  GNU Libidn not installed properly (`idn' or `idna.el' missing)

maybe the help text for `gnus-summary-idna-message' should something
about what libidn is and how to install it (e.g., maybe a URL)?

m.

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-16 18:58           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-01-16 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael Cook <michael@waxrat.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Michael Cook <michael@waxrat.com> writes:

>>> i get an error message:
>>>
>>>   gnus-summary-idna-message: Cannot open load file: idna
>>
>> Ouch, yes.  Better now?
>
> a little, i suppose.  now i get:
>
>   GNU Libidn not installed properly (`idn' or `idna.el' missing)
>
> maybe the help text for `gnus-summary-idna-message' should something
> about what libidn is and how to install it (e.g., maybe a URL)?

I've added an URL to the docstring, manual and GNUS-NEWS now, thanks.

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-17  0:11             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-01-17  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've made a small change in `gnus-summary-idna-message' so that
the byte compiler doesn't complain about `idna-program' even if
there's no IDNA installed (and then I've installed IDNA :-).

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2005-01-17  0:43               ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-01-17  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've made a small change in `gnus-summary-idna-message' so that
> the byte compiler doesn't complain about `idna-program' even if
> there's no IDNA installed (and then I've installed IDNA :-).

Thanks!

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2006-04-15  8:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-15  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi.  I added a new binding `W i' in summary buffers, that decode IDNA
> names inside articles.  It works if you have GNU Libidn installed
> ("idn" command line tool.)

Which reminds me -- idna.el has been around for years now, and it
still not included in Emacs.  Shouldn't it be?

On the other hand, it looks like IDNA is going the way of the dodo,
isn't it?  Are anybody using it at all?

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
@ 2006-04-18 10:44   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2006-04-18 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Hi.  I added a new binding `W i' in summary buffers, that decode IDNA
>> names inside articles.  It works if you have GNU Libidn installed
>> ("idn" command line tool.)
>
> Which reminds me -- idna.el has been around for years now, and it
> still not included in Emacs.  Shouldn't it be?

Perhaps.  It is not useful without the external 'idn' command.  And if
you install libidn to get it, you will probably get idna.el too.  But
I don't object to adding it, it would simplify some message.el code
(to simply assume idna.el exists).

> On the other hand, it looks like IDNA is going the way of the dodo,
> isn't it?  Are anybody using it at all?

I get spam to my IDNA-address...

IDNA is gaining grounds slowly for web browsing (especially in Asia, I
imagine), but for e-mail the solution is simply not good enough -- the
local-part isn't internationalized -- so the people who wants fully
internationalized e-mail will have to wait for EAI:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/eai-charter.html

* Re: New feature: De-IDNA
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> IDNA is gaining grounds slowly for web browsing (especially in Asia, I
> imagine), but for e-mail the solution is simply not good enough -- the
> local-part isn't internationalized -- so the people who wants fully
> internationalized e-mail will have to wait for EAI:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/eai-charter.html

Oh, dear.  It kinda sounds like "just send utf-8".