* Gnus exited on purpose without..
@ 2004-09-10 12:34 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-09-10 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a batch fetch setup that runs from cron when gnus is closed.

When ever I start gnus after that batch command has been running I get:
  Gnus exited on purpose without saving; read auto-save file
   anyway? (y or n)

What needs to be added to my batch command code to prevent that?

  emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs \
  -l $HOME/.emacs-dir/batch-fetch.el \
  -l ~/.gnus -f lars-fetch-news-modified

lars-fetch-news-modified looks like this:

(defun lars-fetch-news-modified ()
  (interactive)
  ;; The let below might load ~/.gnus if "" trying nil
  (let ((init-file-user "")
  ;; (let ((init-file-user nil)
   (gnus-always-read-dribble-file t))
    (gnus))
  (let ((gnus-agent-confirmation-function 'gnus-agent-batch-confirmation))
    (gnus-group-send-queue)
    (gnus-agent-fetch-session)
    (gnus-group-quit)))

* Re: Gnus exited on purpose without..
@ 2004-09-10 17:52 ` colin.rafferty
From: colin.rafferty @ 2004-09-10 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

You have to save the newsrc.  See my inline change.

Speaking of saving, these are three good hooks for general gnus usage:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
(add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-catchup-group-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)

Harry Putnam wrote:

> (defun lars-fetch-news-modified ()
>   (interactive)
>   ;; The let below might load ~/.gnus if "" trying nil
>   (let ((init-file-user "")
>   ;; (let ((init-file-user nil)
>    (gnus-always-read-dribble-file t))
>     (gnus))
>   (let ((gnus-agent-confirmation-function 'gnus-agent-batch-confirmation))
>     (gnus-group-send-queue)
>     (gnus-agent-fetch-session)
    (gnus-group-save-newsrc)

@ 2004-09-11 19:39   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2004-09-11 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

colin.rafferty@morganstanley.com writes:

> Speaking of saving, these are three good hooks for general gnus usage:
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
> (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)
> (add-hook 'gnus-group-catchup-group-hook 'gnus-dribble-save)

I've wondered about doing something like that before... just never
hard enough to post about it... Thanks