* Fetching Message-ID --> nnfolder
@ 2004-04-13 20:31 Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2004-04-13 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use the following code to fetch a list of message IDs
(`nnlater-mid-cache') into a nnfolder whenever I fetch news:

(defun nnlater-fetch-article (msgid)
  (unless (get-buffer "*Group*")
    (error "Gnus is not started"))
  (save-window-excursion
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer (get-buffer "*Group*"))

      (gnus-group-jump-to-group "nnfolder:fetched") ; this folder must
					; exist and have at least one
					; article in it
      (gnus-group-select-group 0)
      (gnus-summary-refer-article msgid)
      (gnus-summary-mark-article nil gnus-unread-mark)
      (gnus-summary-copy-article 1 "nnfolder:fetched") ; otherwise it is
					; not saved
      (gnus-summary-exit))))

(defadvice gnus-agent-fetch-session (before nnlater-gafs-advice activate)
  (unless gnus-plugged
    (error "Can't fetch articles while Gnus is unplugged"))
  (mapc 'nnlater-fetch-article nnlater-mid-cache)
  (setq nnlater-mid-cache nil))

[there is some more code there to make gnus-refer-article-methods add
an otherwise unretrievable message ID to this list, but that is not
part of my problem...]

Now I have a few problems:

1. Sometimes I get an error that article -1 cannot be copied (however,
   when I want to hunt it down, it does not appear, so I cannot
   provide an exact error message). When I use move-article instead of
   copy-article, a similar error occurs most of the time ("Couldn't
   move Article (-1): Folder fetched selected"). The error message
   looks strange to me, but if moving does not work, I'll live with
   copying.

2. I could not find a way to make the "copy" unread. When the article
   is moved, it remains unread as it should, but the copy will become
   read. (Since the "Original" will disappear when the group is
   exited, the only article remaining will be read).
   `gnus-preserve-marks' is `t'.

3. This solution looks a bit hackish to me. Is there some function to
   archieve that (message-ID --> nnfolder) which I missed?

Any ideas?

* Re: Fetching Message-ID --> nnfolder
@ 2004-05-16 12:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Schierl <schierlm-usenet@gmx.de> writes:

> 1. Sometimes I get an error that article -1 cannot be copied (however,
>    when I want to hunt it down, it does not appear, so I cannot
>    provide an exact error message).

This usually happens when there's a dummy article, or an article
fetched by Message-ID present in the summary buffer.

> 2. I could not find a way to make the "copy" unread. When the article
>    is moved, it remains unread as it should, but the copy will become
>    read. (Since the "Original" will disappear when the group is
>    exited, the only article remaining will be read).
>    `gnus-preserve-marks' is `t'.

You could bind that variable to nil in your function.

* Re: Fetching Message-ID --> nnfolder
@ 2004-05-17 19:43   ` Michael Schierl
From: Michael Schierl @ 2004-05-17 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Michael Schierl <schierlm-usenet@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> 1. Sometimes I get an error that article -1 cannot be copied (however,
>>    when I want to hunt it down, it does not appear, so I cannot
>>    provide an exact error message).
>
> This usually happens when there's a dummy article, or an article
> fetched by Message-ID present in the summary buffer.

Hehe. It will *always* be an article fetched by Message-ID since that
is my point - see subject ;)

>> 2. I could not find a way to make the "copy" unread. When the article
>>    is moved, it remains unread as it should, but the copy will become
>>    read. (Since the "Original" will disappear when the group is
>>    exited, the only article remaining will be read).
>>    `gnus-preserve-marks' is `t'.
>
> You could bind that variable to nil in your function.

That one gives me a

Can't mark negative article numbers
Copying to nnfolder:fetched: (-1)...
Wrote c:/Eigenes/Michael/homedir/Mail/fetched

and a beep for every article i fetch that way - but it seems to work...

Michael