* Syncing (gnus)New Features and GNUS-NEWS
@ 2004-01-05 13:11 Reiner Steib
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-01-05 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

currently we have two places were new (user-visible) features are
described:

1. The node (info "(gnus)New Features") in `texi/gnus.texi'

2. GNUS-NEWS (plain test file in outline mode).

Is the intention that both places should contain (essentially) the
same information?

I think we should (and must) keep GNUS-NEWS for several reasons (e.g.
for later inclusion in Emacs' NEWS file and to allow users to see
what's new without installing the info manual).

Shouldn't we declare one "master" and create the other automatically?
(What I usually do is write an entry for `gnus.texi', Copy&Paste the
formated info-output to GNUS-NEWS and adjust it slightly (line breaks,
etc).  Creating the text version first and adding the markup later is
very annoying, IMHO.)

Maybe it would make sense to factor out the No Gnus node (i.e. the
current version) to `gnus-news.texi', add "@include gnus-news.texi" in
`gnus.texi' and convert `gnus-news.texi' to GNUS-NEWS automatically.

Running »makeinfo --no-headers --paragraph-indent=0 --fill-column=83«
on `gnus-news.texi' already gives acceptable output (see a quick test
below).  Of course some modifications have to be done (by sed or in
lisp).

Opinions?

Bye, Reiner.
$ cat gnus-news.texi
@itemize @bullet{}@bullet{}

@item
@code{gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group} can be called interactively,
using @kbd{G M}.

@item
In draft groups, @kbd{e} is now bound to @code{gnus-draft-edit-message}.
Use @kbd{B w} for @code{gnus-summary-edit-article} instead.

@end itemize

$ makeinfo --no-headers --paragraph-indent=0 --fill-column=83 \
  gnus-news.texi|sed 's|^ *||'
** `gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group' can be called interactively, using `G M'.

** In draft groups, `e' is now bound to `gnus-draft-edit-message'.  Use `B w'
for `gnus-summary-edit-article' instead.

       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Syncing (gnus)New Features and GNUS-NEWS
@ 2004-01-05 15:19 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-01-05 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Shouldn't we declare one "master" and create the other automatically?
> Opinions?

FWIW, I think this is a good idea.  Having the same information
duplicated manually is bad.

* Re: Syncing (gnus)New Features and GNUS-NEWS
@ 2004-01-05 20:29   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-01-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>> Shouldn't we declare one "master" and create the other automatically?
>> Opinions?

> FWIW, I think this is a good idea.  Having the same information
> duplicated manually is bad.

FWIW I agree.

* Re: Syncing (gnus)New Features and GNUS-NEWS
@ 2004-01-05 22:14 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-01-05 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Jan 2004, Reiner Steib<4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> verbalized:
> Hi,
>
> currently we have two places were new (user-visible) features are
> described:
>
> 1. The node (info "(gnus)New Features") in `texi/gnus.texi'
>
> 2. GNUS-NEWS (plain test file in outline mode).
>
> Is the intention that both places should contain (essentially) the
> same information?
>
> I think we should (and must) keep GNUS-NEWS for several reasons (e.g.
> for later inclusion in Emacs' NEWS file and to allow users to see
> what's new without installing the info manual).
>
> Shouldn't we declare one "master" and create the other automatically?
> (What I usually do is write an entry for `gnus.texi', Copy&Paste the
> formated info-output to GNUS-NEWS and adjust it slightly (line breaks,
> etc).  Creating the text version first and adding the markup later is
> very annoying, IMHO.)
>
> Maybe it would make sense to factor out the No Gnus node (i.e. the
> current version) to `gnus-news.texi', add "@include gnus-news.texi" in
> `gnus.texi' and convert `gnus-news.texi' to GNUS-NEWS automatically.
>
> Running »makeinfo --no-headers --paragraph-indent=0 --fill-column=83«
> on `gnus-news.texi' already gives acceptable output (see a quick test
> below).  Of course some modifications have to be done (by sed or in
> lisp).
>
> Opinions?

I do agree with that.

zeDek
--
.o.  | Hacker wonderland
..o  |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Syncing (gnus)New Features and GNUS-NEWS
@ 2004-01-06  4:39 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-06  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Shouldn't we declare one "master" and create the other automatically?

[...]

> Running »makeinfo --no-headers --paragraph-indent=0 --fill-column=83«
> on `gnus-news.texi' already gives acceptable output (see a quick test
> below).  Of course some modifications have to be done (by sed or in
> lisp).

Sounds like a good idea.

* Re: Syncing (gnus)New Features and GNUS-NEWS
@ 2004-01-06 22:11   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-01-06 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 06 2004, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>
>> Shouldn't we declare one "master" and create the other automatically?
> [...]
>> Running »makeinfo --no-headers --paragraph-indent=0 --fill-column=83«
>> on `gnus-news.texi' already gives acceptable output
[...]
> Sounds like a good idea.

I've committed two news files gnus-news.texi and gnus-news.el.  (See
<news:E1Adz6j-0001bU-00@quimby.gnus.org> for details.)

`gnus-news.texi' is the master file, which is included in `gnus.texi'.
I added a new node "No Gnus"; Please adjust the menu title (-> see
FIXME).  texi/GNUS-NEWS can now be created using "make GNUS-NEWS" in
the texi/ subdirectory (after re-running configure).

What is missing: Instead of ./texi/GNUS-NEWS we should create it in
the parent directory.  Probably it's best to do this using commit
script on quimby?  Another script should disallow changes to
./GNUS-NEWS.  (I'm not a CVS expert, but IIRC it's possible.)

I already have converted the current entries form GNUS-NEWS into
`gnus-news.texi' and the auto-generated output is nice, IMHO.  If
anyone wants to improve `gnus-news.el', please do so.  E.g. one could
use `texinfmt' (like in `infohack.el') instead of the external
"makeinfo".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,