* Bug: gnus-article-treat-body-boundary, gnus-with-article-headers
@ 2003-10-15 18:55 Reiner Steib
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-15 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

when I set `gnus-treat-body-boundary' to t, the boundary isn't placed
after the headers, but after the first paragraph of the article body.

I don't know whether it's a bug in `gnus-article-treat-body-boundary',
`gnus-with-article-headers', `article-narrow-to-head' or something
else.  When I add "(sit-for 3)" in `gnus-article-treat-body-boundary'
as shown below, I see that the article buffer doesn't contain the
headers (as expected), but the first paragraph of the article.

Any ideas?  (I couldn't locate the code where the gnus-treat-*
functions are called.)

Bye, Reiner.

(defun gnus-article-treat-body-boundary ()
  "Place a boundary line at the end of the headers."
  (interactive)
  (when (and gnus-body-boundary-delimiter
	     (> (length gnus-body-boundary-delimiter) 0))
    (gnus-with-article-headers
      (sit-for 3) ;; <============================================== ADDED
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (let ((start (point)))
	(insert "X-Boundary: ")
	(gnus-add-text-properties start (point) '(invisible t intangible t))
	(insert (let (str)
		  (while (>= (1- (window-width)) (length str))
		    (setq str (concat str gnus-body-boundary-delimiter)))
		  (substring str 0 (1- (window-width))))
		"\n")
	(gnus-put-text-property start (point) 'gnus-decoration 'header)))))
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Bug: gnus-article-treat-body-boundary,
@ 2003-10-15 22:08 ` Karl Pflästerer
       [not found] ` <hhu16a1358.fsf@blah.pl>
From: Karl Pflästerer @ 2003-10-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Oct 2003, Reiner Steib <- 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> when I set `gnus-treat-body-boundary' to t, the boundary isn't placed
> after the headers, but after the first paragraph of the article body.

Yes that's right.

> I don't know whether it's a bug in `gnus-article-treat-body-boundary',
> `gnus-with-article-headers', `article-narrow-to-head' or something
> else.  When I add "(sit-for 3)" in `gnus-article-treat-body-boundary'

I'm also not sure but I think we should start with `gnus-display-mime'
There `gnus-treat-article' gets called and that function calls the
functions from the alist `gnus-treatment-function-alist'.

> as shown below, I see that the article buffer doesn't contain the
> headers (as expected), but the first paragraph of the article.

That's because of gnus-display-mime.

	  (save-restriction
	    (article-goto-body)
	    (narrow-to-region (point) (point-max))
	    (gnus-treat-article nil 1 1)
	    (widen)))
	(unless ihandles
	  ;; Highlight the headers.
	  (save-excursion
	    (save-restriction
	      (article-goto-body)
	      (narrow-to-region (point-min) (point))
	      (gnus-treat-article 'head))))))))

Before `gnus-treat-article' is called the buffer is narrowed.  I'm not
sure at the moment why but it seems necessary.  If I comment it out
nothing happens.

> Any ideas?  (I couldn't locate the code where the gnus-treat-*
> functions are called.)

Perhaps that helps a bit.  I couldn't find at the monent the bug either
but I'll try on.

   KP

--
If you have nothing to say on a subject, replying with a line such as,
"I agree with this." puts you in the TO:'s for all future messages, and

* Re: Bug: gnus-article-treat-body-boundary,
@ 2003-10-16 14:31 ` Karl Pflästerer
       [not found] ` <hhu16a1358.fsf@blah.pl>
From: Karl Pflästerer @ 2003-10-16 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: reiner.steib

Hi,
that's my second try to answer you (the first one I send yesterday seems
to be lost in nirvana) (therefore I send a Cc to you).

On 15 Oct 2003, Reiner Steib <- 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> when I set `gnus-treat-body-boundary' to t, the boundary isn't placed
> after the headers, but after the first paragraph of the article body.

Yes that's right.

> I don't know whether it's a bug in `gnus-article-treat-body-boundary',
> `gnus-with-article-headers', `article-narrow-to-head' or something
> else.  When I add "(sit-for 3)" in `gnus-article-treat-body-boundary'

I'm also not sure but I think we should start with `gnus-display-mime'
There `gnus-treat-article' gets called and that function calls the
functions from the alist `gnus-treatment-function-alist'.

> as shown below, I see that the article buffer doesn't contain the
> headers (as expected), but the first paragraph of the article.

That's because of gnus-display-mime.

	  (save-restriction
	    (article-goto-body)
	    (narrow-to-region (point) (point-max))
	    (gnus-treat-article nil 1 1)
	    (widen)))
	(unless ihandles
	  ;; Highlight the headers.
	  (save-excursion
	    (save-restriction
	      (article-goto-body)
	      (narrow-to-region (point-min) (point))
	      (gnus-treat-article 'head))))))))

Before `gnus-treat-article' is called the buffer is narrowed.  I'm not
sure at the moment why but it seems necessary.  If I comment it out
nothing happens.

> Any ideas?  (I couldn't locate the code where the gnus-treat-*
> functions are called.)

Perhaps that helps a bit.  I couldn't find at the monent the bug either
but I'll try on.

   Karl
--
    'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

@ 2003-10-16 14:56   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-10-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 16 2003, Maciej Matysiak wrote:

Something stripped " gnus-with-article-headers" from the subject.

> On the 15th of October 2003 at 20:55, Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> when I set `gnus-treat-body-boundary' to t, the boundary isn't placed
>> after the headers, but after the first paragraph of the article body.
>
> try (setq gnus-treat-body-boundary 'head) instead of "t".

That fixes it, thanks.

But the doc-string also mentions »t, `last', integer, predicate«,
whereas the manual only mentions `head'.

Should we fix this?

,----[ C-h v gnus-treat-body-boundary RET ]

`----

,----[ (info "(gnus)Customizing Articles") ]
| `gnus-treat-body-boundary (head)'
|      Adds a delimiter between header and body, the string used as
|      delimiter is controlled by `gnus-body-boundary-delimiter'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-10-17 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> But the doc-string also mentions »t, `last', integer, predicate«,
> whereas the manual only mentions `head'.

I think it would make sense to go through all the *-treat-* variables
and fix the doc strings for the items that only apply to headers.

And set type to the head-custom-thing:

  :type gnus-article-treat-head-custom