* Re: Variable gnus-use-demon ignored?
@ 1999-01-12  6:19   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-01-12  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> > It appears that the `gnus-use-demon' variable is being ignored, even
> > when I set it to `t' from within my `.gnus.el' file.  I grepped for
> > this variable within all the *.el files in the source lisp directory,
> > and I never see it tested anywhere; it is only being set in a couple
> > places.

> I've now removed the variable.

The manual, claiming to be for 0.58 (yet I'm running 0.65), says:

      To set the whole thing in motion, though, you have to set
   `gnus-use-demon' to `t'.

so I should understand that this is not true anymore?

By the way, if I fetch the latest `pgnus' hoping to have 0.69 (or newer?),
will I indeed get 0.69? :-)

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Variable gnus-use-demon ignored?
@ 1999-01-12 14:10 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-01-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using pgnus-0.69 under XEmacs 21.2beta4.

It appears that the `gnus-use-demon' variable is being ignored, even
when I set it to `t' from within my `.gnus.el' file.  I grepped for
this variable within all the *.el files in the source lisp directory,
and I never see it tested anywhere; it is only being set in a couple
places.

It looks like `gnus-demon-init' is now being automatically invoked
whenever `gnus-demon-add-handler' is called, and therefore, it appears
that the explicit setting of `gnus-use-demon' doesn't really affect
anything anymore.

I don't have a problem with this, if indeed this is the way things are
now supposed to work.  It's just that the Info documentation for
version 0.69 still states that we should use the `gnus-use-demon'
variable if we want to use demons within Gnus.

Is the documentation in error?  Or is this a bug?  Or am I missing
something?

Thanks in advance!

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Variable gnus-use-demon ignored?
@ 1999-01-12 16:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-13 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> The manual, claiming to be for 0.58 (yet I'm running 0.65), says:
>
>       To set the whole thing in motion, though, you have to set
>    `gnus-use-demon' to `t'.
>
> so I should understand that this is not true anymore?

Yes.

> By the way, if I fetch the latest `pgnus' hoping to have 0.69 (or newer?),
> will I indeed get 0.69? :-)

That depends on where you're fetching it from.  :-)