* A message/rfc822 test
@ 1998-12-17 12:30 Robert Bihlmeyer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-12-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

appended is a message/rfc822 part. Gnus should:
* display it inline by default (or at least make this possible, always
  selecting "View in this buffer" from the menu is very tedious)
* treat it with any MIME handling normally done on messages: (header
  and message decoding)

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 634 bytes --]

From: Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at>
To: robbe@mars.tuwien.ac.at
Subject: Embedded MIME message (äöü)
Date: 17 Dec 1998 13:18:26 +0100

This is the embedded message

Quöted unreadable is in füll äffect

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: A message/rfc822 test
@ 1998-12-17 14:16 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-12-17 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know if you realized it, but the Content-Transfer-Encoding:
header of your included message was not included, so it really did end
up being quoted-unreadable.

Robert Bihlmeyer writes:

> appended is a message/rfc822 part. Gnus should:
> * display it inline by default (or at least make this possible, always
>   selecting "View in this buffer" from the menu is very tedious)

I agree completely.  A lot of people who send me mail will forward a
message and type in some responses.  I hate this.  I would love for
`b' to put the other message inline.

Of course, maybe I just haven't found the right variable to setq.

--
Colin

* Re: A message/rfc822 test
@ 1998-12-17 15:23   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-12-17 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty writes:
> I don't know if you realized it, but the Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> header of your included message was not included, so it really did end
> up being quoted-unreadable.

Hm, not as I received it here.  The header for the whole message contains:

And the embedded message contains:

If you didn't get this, I suspect some transport has bitten you badly.

Colin Rafferty writes:
> I agree completely.  A lot of people who send me mail will forward a
> message and type in some responses.

Sometimes, I would like to be able to do this, but `C-d' to explode
the message into an ephemeral group has been pretty good to me so far.

* Re: A message/rfc822 test
@ 1998-12-17 15:53   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-12-17 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Colin> I don't know if you realized it, but the
 Colin> Content-Transfer-Encoding: header of your included message was
 Colin> not included, so it really did end up being quoted-unreadable.

Hmm, the *part* headers (the block before the first empty line) had no
C-T-E, but the part contents included the *message* headers (between
first and second empty line), which had C-T-E amongst them. I think
this is according to the standard, and that Gnus should respect this
(i.e. decode q-p et cetera).

It seems as if Gnus would simply not realize, that the embedded
content is a message on its own, and that it should get the same
treatment as a "proper" (toplevel) message (act on MIME headers,
decode 8bit headers, do header-highlighting, and other washing stuff).

	Robbe

--

@ 1998-12-17 15:55     ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-12-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste writes:

> Colin Rafferty writes:
>> I don't know if you realized it, but the Content-Transfer-Encoding:
>> header of your included message was not included, so it really did end
>> up being quoted-unreadable.

> Hm, not as I received it here....
> If you didn't get this, I suspect some transport has bitten you badly.

My error, it was there.

My problem was a combination of Gnus misleading me and me not reading
accurately.  I guess I expected Gnus to handle the MIME stuff
appropriately in the *mm* buffer, and then missed what I expected not
see.

--
Colin

* Re: A message/rfc822 test
@ 1998-12-17 17:39 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-17 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> appended is a message/rfc822 part. Gnus should:
> * display it inline by default (or at least make this possible, always
>   selecting "View in this buffer" from the menu is very tedious)

Well, perhaps.

> * treat it with any MIME handling normally done on messages: (header
>   and message decoding)

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.69.

* Re: A message/rfc822 test
@ 1998-12-17 23:53 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-17 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

  > Hi,
  >
  > appended is a message/rfc822 part. Gnus should:
  > * display it inline by default (or at least make this possible, always
  >   selecting "View in this buffer" from the menu is very tedious)

There is mm-inline-media-tests which you can frob if you like.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser