* Is this list still alive?
@ 1998-04-17  3:46 Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-04-17  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just a test to see if the list is still alive.

No messages for almost 26 hours.
--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Is this list still alive?
@ 1998-04-17  4:38 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-17  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:

> Just a test to see if the list is still alive.
>
> No messages for almost 26 hours.

I was wondering about that too.  Maybe this will liven up the party.

What uses can be made of 'M P R' (process mark by regexp)
What 'series' do the commands 'M P S' and 'M P s' refer to
(under 'Setting Process Marks'

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Is this list still alive?
@ 1998-04-17  5:26   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-04-17  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Just a test to see if the list is still alive.
> >
> > No messages for almost 26 hours.
>
> I was wondering about that too.  Maybe this will liven up the party.
>
> What uses can be made of 'M P R' (process mark by regexp)

Well, if I want to process mark all the articles in the summary with
the word "still" in the subject I could do "M P R" then enter the word
"still". It's better than using "/s 'still' <RET> M P B" if all you want
to do is act on certain articles.

In addition you can save marked sets unto a stack and pop them from
it. This can be useful if you have marked a whole series of articles
but want to do something now to a few of them or carry out an action
on one article that would automatically act as if it had been prefixed
with "M-&".

> What 'series' do the commands 'M P S' and 'M P s' refer to
> (under 'Setting Process Marks'

I think that "M P s" will mark all articles with the same subject, I'm
sure you've seen that not all articles get put into the thread to
which they belong to because of broken headers.

When dealing with series it appears that you should use "M P s" on the
original article as it seems that it will work on a subject title that
is either "TITLE" or "Re: TITLE".  If you mark "Re: TITLE" then
"TITLE" no longer matches but "Re: Re: TITLE" might (I don't know).

This is what it does in my experience but it might do something else
as well.

"M P S" acts like "M-& M P s". You first have to mark one of the
articles from each series you wish to mark then run "M P S".

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Is this list still alive?
@ 1998-04-17  5:50 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-17  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:

> Just a test to see if the list is still alive.
>
> No messages for almost 26 hours.

Just checking on this, my biggest groups are 2800 or so and I am seeing
a full 17 seconds to open up.  If you try a virtual group (don't have
any any more)  I think you would see an even slower open time.
Probably more processing going on.  Apparently Gnus doesn't retain
certain kinds of info between entries so it has to be done again with
each entry.

Are you seeing scoring possibly?  I checked only groups with no score files.

--

@ 1998-04-17  5:57     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-17  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:

> Well, if I want to process mark all the articles in the summary with
> the word "still" in the subject I could do "M P R" then enter the word
> "still". It's better than using "/s 'still' <RET> M P B" if all you want
> to do is act on certain articles.

I think this is one of those deals like when you take your car to a
mechanic and it won't make the noise you wanted him to hear.

I tried M P R  a dozen times earlier today after someone posted about it
in gnu.emacs.gnus, and couldn't do a thing with it.

Now it works every time. --- Must have been in the twilight zone.

--

@ 1998-04-17  6:09   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-04-17  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Just a test to see if the list is still alive.
> >
> > No messages for almost 26 hours.
>
> Just checking on this, my biggest groups are 2800 or so and I am seeing
> a full 17 seconds to open up.  If you try a virtual group (don't have
> any any more)  I think you would see an even slower open time.
> Probably more processing going on.  Apparently Gnus doesn't retain
> certain kinds of info between entries so it has to be done again with
> each entry.
>
> Are you seeing scoring possibly?  I checked only groups with no score files.

No. The problem isn't opening the group as I rarely select more that
100 articles. It's selecting the first article once I'm in the group.

I have this in my .gnus file so I get to choose which article to
select:
;; Don't select the first article automatically
(setq  gnus-auto-select-first nil)

Whichever article I select then takes about 10-15 seconds to
display. All articles selected after that are almost instantaneous
whether they are above or  below the first article.

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Is this list still alive ?
@ 2007-01-12 10:11 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-01-12 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, Jan 12 2007, Bastien wrote:

> I can't believe there's been no message from last june... tell me its
> me please!

It is alive.

How do you read (and post to) the list?  Mailing list subscription,
via NNTP from gnus.org <news://news.gnus.org/gnus.ding>, or via Gmane

Depending on this, the right person/group to contact is the list owner
(Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs (at) math.uh.edu>), Larsi or
gmane.discuss.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Is this list still alive ?
@ 2007-01-12  3:44 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-01-12  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi Bastien,

* Bastien (2007/01/12) said:

> I can't believe there's been no message from last june... tell me
> its me please!

I'd also like to know.

regards,

* Re: Is this list still alive ?
@ 2007-01-12  3:14 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-01-12  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I can't believe there's been no message from last june... tell me
> its me please!

« its me please! »

Well... See the gmane copy at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general

:-) There's life there !

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  Isn't vi that text editor with        |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007     |   two modes... One that beeps and      |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Is this list still alive ?
@ 2007-01-12  0:27 Bastien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2007-01-12  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't believe there's been no message from last june... tell me its
me please!

bye

--
Bastien