* Is this a general problem
@ 1998-03-27  3:26 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-27  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

My setup includes groups from 2 foreign servers

One of these has 6 groups the other 2.
When firing up gnus, after the news is read 2 of the 6 groups in one
foreign server always show a '*' on them.  The other 4 usually show some
number of new 'unread' articles.

The other foreign server (sunsite.auc.dk) always shows '*' on both
groups. (one of them being this [ding] group)

On the first server mentioned, I find when actually entering the groups
that there are dozens of new postings, once I have entered and exited
with either 'q' or 'Z Z' then the current number of unread is shown.

But what is more peculiar is that articles that were ticked in last or
some previous session do not show up with the unread articles.  Instead
they have been 'unticked' but are still cached, so will show up when a
'C-u <RET> is done.  At first I thought I had done it inadvertantly but
after monitoring several startups I see something else is causing
this. Not sure what

In summary:  2 groups of 6 on one foreign server show up with '*' in
front of them.  Even though there are dozens of newly arrived unread
postings.  Further, in these same 2 groups, articles that were once
'ticked' and 'cached' have been unticked and relegated to 'O' status but
have remained cached.

A check of 'Group parameters' shows 'nil'

A seperate foreign group (sunsite.auc.dk) always shows '*' in front of
'ding' group and 'w3-beta' group even though several new articles have
arrived in the 'ding' group.  No status change on ticked articles observed.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Is this a general problem
@ 1998-03-30  0:39 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-03-30  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In summary:  2 groups of 6 on one foreign server show up with '*' in
> front of them.  Even though there are dozens of newly arrived unread
> postings.  Further, in these same 2 groups, articles that were once
> 'ticked' and 'cached' have been unticked and relegated to 'O' status but
> have remained cached.

  What about your secondary select methods? I had some loosely related
problems myself in respect of a group I subscribe to on
`sunsite.auc.dk'. Since I added the server `(nntp "sunsite.auc.dk")'
to my 'gnus-secondary-select-methods' everything appears fine...

  Just thought I'd ask :-).

--
Mike.