* mailto urls in text/html
@ 2010-11-03 19:00 Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-11-03 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In a multipart/alternative environment with text/plain and text/html parts I now am set up with html via gnus-w3m by default.  Today I had occasion to try following a mailto link but nothing happened.  If I switched to the text/plain view, I get a button for the email link and am able to follow it (a message-mode buffer opens).  I'm not sure how to expect it to work via gnus-w3m.  Normally I'm set up to follow links via browse-url which goes to firefox, and works for http and ftp links just fine.  I do have firefox set up to run a script that calls gnuclient to open a message-mode buffer (firing up a new xemacs if there isn't an existing gnuserv running) so ugly as that might be I would have expected to see a firefox window along with message, but nothing.  It's not clear to me how gnus-w3
 m is implemented.  I'm happy to step through functions, but I don't know which to look at.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: mailto urls in text/html
@ 2010-11-04 20:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-04 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Today I had occasion to try following a mailto link but nothing
> happened.

This should now be fixed.

* Re: mailto urls in text/html
@ 2010-11-05 13:10   ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-11-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
>> Today I had occasion to try following a mailto link but nothing
>> happened.

> This should now be fixed.

It's partly fixed.  gnus-html-browse-url does the right thing when point is on top of a mailto: URL widget and I run it via M-x.  However, RET and mouse click (widget-button-press and widget-button-click respectively) don't end up calling that function.

--

@ 2010-11-05 14:53     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-11-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
>>> Today I had occasion to try following a mailto link but nothing
>>> happened.

>> This should now be fixed.

> It's partly fixed.  gnus-html-browse-url does the right thing when
> point is on top of a mailto: URL widget and I run it via M-x.
> However, RET and mouse click (widget-button-press and
> widget-button-click respectively) don't end up calling that function.

Did a bit more digging.  The gnus-callback on all the mailto: widget is browse-url, not gnus-html-browse-url.  It looks like I need to customize gnus-button-alist but doing so did not solve it.  gnus-callback remains set to browse-url.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-08 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> It's partly fixed.  gnus-html-browse-url does the right thing when
> point is on top of a mailto: URL widget and I run it via M-x.
> However, RET and mouse click (widget-button-press and
> widget-button-click respectively) don't end up calling that function.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a browse-url issue.
browse-url should provide methods for browsing all urls, and should have
a way to call Message mode with mailto: urls and other stuff with other
urls.

I've now sent a proposed patch to do this to emacs-devel, and we'll see
what they say...