* nnimap and gnus-use-cache
@ 2010-09-24  7:26 Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-09-24  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I had gnus-use-cache set to t in my .gnus.el.

I discovered that setting the important mark would cache the article.
Useful!

But that triggers a bug: when accessing old articles in a group,
sometimes, say I want to read a random article so I press RET…

…but Gnus ends opening another article, one which is cached and
important. I have to delete the cache so I can read the article I want.
If I don't, I cannot open this article, Gnus just keep going back to the
cached article (which is totally unrelated).

I've set back gnus-use-cache to its default value, passive, so I don't
have this behaviour anymore, but well, that can bother other people. :)

That maybe an UID problem, I've no clue.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: nnimap and gnus-use-cache
@ 2010-09-24  8:17 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-09-24  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> But that triggers a bug: when accessing old articles in a group,
> sometimes, say I want to read a random article so I press RET…

> …but Gnus ends opening another article, one which is cached and
> important. I have to delete the cache so I can read the article I want.
> If I don't, I cannot open this article, Gnus just keep going back to the
> cached article (which is totally unrelated).

Ah!  That happened to me the other day, as well.

* Re: nnimap and gnus-use-cache
@ 2010-09-24 16:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> …but Gnus ends opening another article, one which is cached and
> important. I have to delete the cache so I can read the article I want.
> If I don't, I cannot open this article, Gnus just keep going back to the
> cached article (which is totally unrelated).

Wow!  How bizarre.  But I'm able to reproduce it.

* Re: nnimap and gnus-use-cache
@ 2010-09-24 17:12   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-24 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Wow!  How bizarre.  But I'm able to reproduce it.

That was a bug that's been there forever and ever, but would only be
triggered by backends that don't support NOV, like nnimap now.

Fixed and pushed.

* Re: nnimap and gnus-use-cache
@ 2010-09-24 18:31     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-09-24 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> That was a bug that's been there forever and ever, but would only be
> triggered by backends that don't support NOV, like nnimap now.

> Fixed and pushed.

Wasn't the one I saw, then.  What I saw was something similar when using
the agent.  Somehow one article was replaced with its neighbour.  The
two articles in ~/News/agent/nnimap/privat/folder/ were identical.

What I did was delete the wrong article in the agent did, and then read
the article again and the correct one showed up.

I'm using this setting to save articles in the agent as I read them:
 (add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)

* Re: nnimap and gnus-use-cache
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-24 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Wasn't the one I saw, then.  What I saw was something similar when using
> the agent.  Somehow one article was replaced with its neighbour.  The
> two articles in ~/News/agent/nnimap/privat/folder/ were identical.

Right.  Sounds like a different problem.  This bug was that several
articles returned the same number when you evaled

  (gnus-summary-article-number)

on a summary line.

* Re: nnimap and gnus-use-cache
@ 2010-09-25 17:38         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-09-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>> Wasn't the one I saw, then.  What I saw was something similar when using
>> the agent.  Somehow one article was replaced with its neighbour.  The
>> two articles in ~/News/agent/nnimap/privat/folder/ were identical.

> Right.  Sounds like a different problem.  This bug was that several
> articles returned the same number when you evaled

>   (gnus-summary-article-number)

> on a summary line.

What happened to me now, was that an agent article (newesst date and
biggest article number) was replaced by the contents of the .overview (a
slightly older version of the .overview, I think).

This was before my latest pull, and I have no consistent way of
reproducing this.