* Causing nntp connections to not remain open?
@ 2004-12-26 13:34 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2004-12-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to configure gnus to cause nntp connections to not remain
open after a query for new articles takes place?

I'd like this to happen only for a specific nntp server, such that gnus
re-opens the connection to that server every time it queries for new
articles, and that it shuts down the connection after the article query
takes place.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Causing nntp connections to not remain open?
@ 2006-04-15 12:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-15 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Is there a way to configure gnus to cause nntp connections to not remain
> open after a query for new articles takes place?
>
> I'd like this to happen only for a specific nntp server, such that gnus
> re-opens the connection to that server every time it queries for new
> articles, and that it shuts down the connection after the article query
> takes place.

Well, including such a feature would be potentially disastrous.  A
news server uses significant CPU time when establishing a new
connection, and it would be irresponsible of a news reader to allow
such functionality.

However, it really shouldn't be much problem implementing this by
issuing a `(nntp-close-server)' from `gnus-article-prepare-hook' or
the like.