From: Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk>
Subject: Re: @documentencoding
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 02:57:31 +0100	[thread overview]

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Ah, thanks.  That should be easy enough to fix in infohack.el.  Does
>> it work for you now Kevin?
>
> It works so I'm happy.  Would you mind explaining what was wrong with
> using the iflatex form?

Stuff inside @iflatex is only for the special illustrated version of
the manual -- it's LaTeX commands, not Texinfo like everything else.

This version is built by translating from Texinfo to LaTeX, and
running latex on the translated file, the 'make latexps' target in the
Makefile.  The regular way is to just run texi2dvi on the Texinfo
source, 'make dvi'.

It's non-standard and not used anywhere else than the Gnus manual,
which is why it has to be stripped before using the normal Texinfo
toolchain.

@documentencoding, on the other hand, is a regular Texinfo command.
It's defined for all Texinfo output targets (Info, HTML, TeX).  The
only problem was that texinfmt.el in Emacs 21.3 forgot to implement it
(it also lacks some other commands).