* @documentencoding (was: Changes committed gnus/texi (gnus.texi))
       [not found] <E1AyNmY-0003DZ-00@quimby.gnus.org>
@ 2004-03-03 16:55 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-03-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kevin Greiner" <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> 	* gnus.texi: Wrapped documentencoding inside of iflatex as
> 	documentencoding is not supported by infohack.

In texi2latex.el or somewhere else?

@documentencoding doesn't do anything inside @iflatex/@iftex -- it
only affects Info and HTML.

> 	Changed file's character coding to utf-8 as the file contains
> 	characters that can not be encoded using iso-8859-1.

The only non-ASCII chars I could see are:

  é à ê ç å ¬

which are all Latin-1.

Anyway, Texinfo isn't multibyte-clean so we can't use utf-8.

It isn't really 8bit-clean either, so we should use the Texinfo
accents instead, @aa{} etc. `¬' isn't supported by Texinfo, though.

* Re: @documentencoding
@ 2004-03-03 17:27   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-03-03 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 03 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> "Kevin Greiner" <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> 	* gnus.texi: Wrapped documentencoding inside of iflatex as
>> 	documentencoding is not supported by infohack.
>
> In texi2latex.el or somewhere else?

In Emacs 21.3, `texinfo-format-buffer' doesn't have it, but in Emacs
21.3.50 (CVS) it works:

,----
`----

> The only non-ASCII chars I could see are:
>   é à ê ç å ¬
> which are all Latin-1.

Correct.  But all non-ascii characters have been turned into
`eight-bit-graphic', now.

> Anyway, Texinfo isn't multibyte-clean so we can't use utf-8.
>
> It isn't really 8bit-clean either, so we should use the Texinfo
> accents instead, @aa{} etc. `¬' isn't supported by Texinfo, though.

I managed to produce dvi and info files with all Latin-1 except `¬'
some hours ago (reverting the file back to Latin-1 and _with_
@documentencoding.  But I'm not able to reproduce it now (Dunno if
it's related to your changes.).  I will try look into this again
later.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: @documentencoding
@ 2004-03-04  0:36     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-03-04  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 03 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:
>
>> "Kevin Greiner" <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>>
>>> 	* gnus.texi: Wrapped documentencoding inside of iflatex as
>>> 	documentencoding is not supported by infohack.
>>
>> In texi2latex.el or somewhere else?
>
> In Emacs 21.3, `texinfo-format-buffer' doesn't have it

Ah, thanks.  That should be easy enough to fix in infohack.el.  Does
it work for you now Kevin?

>> It isn't really 8bit-clean either, so we should use the Texinfo
>> accents instead, @aa{} etc. `¬' isn't supported by Texinfo, though.
>
> I managed to produce dvi and info files with all Latin-1 except `¬'
> some hours ago (reverting the file back to Latin-1 and _with_
> @documentencoding.

Without changing the 8bit chars to Texinfo commands?  I don't think
that can work.

I've changed everything except `¬' now, and added --enable-encoding to
get the real characters in Info.

* Re: @documentencoding
@ 2004-03-04  1:00       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-03-04  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

>>> In texi2latex.el or somewhere else?
>>
>> In Emacs 21.3, `texinfo-format-buffer' doesn't have it
>
> Ah, thanks.  That should be easy enough to fix in infohack.el.  Does
> it work for you now Kevin?

It works so I'm happy.  Would you mind explaining what was wrong with
using the iflatex form?  The infohack function calls
infohack-remove-unsupported to remove the lines marked by iflatex.  I
assumed, perhaps that's the problem, that the other tex tools would do
the opposite by keeping the @documentencoding statement while dropping
the iflatex lines.

>>> It isn't really 8bit-clean either, so we should use the Texinfo
>>> accents instead, @aa{} etc. `¬' isn't supported by Texinfo, though.
>>
>> I managed to produce dvi and info files with all Latin-1 except `¬'
>> some hours ago (reverting the file back to Latin-1 and _with_
>> @documentencoding.
>
> Without changing the 8bit chars to Texinfo commands?  I don't think
> that can work.
>
> I've changed everything except `¬' now, and added --enable-encoding to
> get the real characters in Info.

Well, my apologies for messing everything up. I'll be honest in saying
that I try to avoid coding system issues as much as possible.  I only
made the change that I did because emacs refused to save gnus.texi
using iso-8859-1.

Kevin

* Re: @documentencoding
@ 2004-03-04  1:57         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-03-04  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Ah, thanks.  That should be easy enough to fix in infohack.el.  Does
>> it work for you now Kevin?
>
> It works so I'm happy.  Would you mind explaining what was wrong with
> using the iflatex form?

Stuff inside @iflatex is only for the special illustrated version of
the manual -- it's LaTeX commands, not Texinfo like everything else.

This version is built by translating from Texinfo to LaTeX, and
running latex on the translated file, the 'make latexps' target in the
Makefile.  The regular way is to just run texi2dvi on the Texinfo
source, 'make dvi'.

It's non-standard and not used anywhere else than the Gnus manual,
which is why it has to be stripped before using the normal Texinfo
toolchain.

@documentencoding, on the other hand, is a regular Texinfo command.
It's defined for all Texinfo output targets (Info, HTML, TeX).  The
only problem was that texinfmt.el in Emacs 21.3 forgot to implement it
(it also lacks some other commands).