From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Encrypting outgoing message but not Gcc?
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:35:21 -0500	[thread overview]

spamtrap@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:17:17 -0500, Lloyd wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to configure Gnus to encrypt an outgoing message, but
>> not its Gcc?  I Gcc messages to an archive group, and unless I have
>> the recipient's private key, I can't view the archived message if
>> it's been encrypted.
>
> My archived copies are encrypted with the recipients as well as my own
> public-key, so I can read them myself.
>
> I don't think I've done anything special to make Gnus do that.

Hmm ... as I mentioned in my other message a few minutes ago, I seem to
need the _recipient's_ passphrase in order to decrypt my archived
copies, even with the latest CVS of Gnus.

Also, I think there's a gap somewhere in my understanding of all this.
How can it be that something encrypted twice, once with the recipient's
public key and once with yours, would only need your private key to be
decrypted?  Wouldn't there have to be two decryptions, one for each of
the previous encryptions?  Or in this case, is the encryption done with
some sort of mathematical combination of both public keys, such that
either corresponding private key can decrypt it?

> Can't search through them, though, I guess.

That's not such a problem for me.  I just want to be able to _read_
these archived copies.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com