* May be 0.97 related
@ 1999-10-13  1:02 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-10-13  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently I've had an nnml group show up in group buffer that I don't
remember creating.   It shows:

    3560: nnml:help
When I click on it I get this message:
Couldn't request group nnml:help: Invalid group (no such directory)

In this case C-u G del won't work so I used C-k.  After closing and
opening gnus a few times the group comes back.  Looking the same as before.

Thinking it may be a long forgotten split rule I tried:

`grep 'help' ~/.gnus'   <no hits>

* Re: May be 0.97 related
@ 1999-10-13  2:15 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-10-13  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

* Re: May be 0.97 related
@ 1999-10-13  2:20 ` Paul Stevenson
From: Paul Stevenson @ 1999-10-13  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Recently I've had an nnml group show up in group buffer that I don't
> remember creating.   It shows:
>
>     3560: nnml:help
> When I click on it I get this message:
> Couldn't request group nnml:help: Invalid group (no such directory)
>
> In this case C-u G del won't work so I used C-k.  After closing and
> opening gnus a few times the group comes back.  Looking the same as before.
>
> Thinking it may be a long forgotten split rule I tried:
>
> `grep 'help' ~/.gnus'   <no hits>

Do you have a '~/Mail/help' directory which could give some clue?

* Re: May be 0.97 related
@ 1999-10-13 11:27   ` Harry Putnam
       [not found]     ` <m3oge2x8zy.fsf@plugh.mccorp.com.au>
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-10-13 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:

> > Thinking it may be a long forgotten split rule I tried:
> >
> > `grep 'help' ~/.gnus'   <no hits>
>
> Do you have a '~/Mail/help' directory which could give some clue?

No... I checked that before posting:

find ~/Mail -type f -name '*help*' -print  <no hits>

* Re: May be 0.97 related
@ 1999-10-13 11:37   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-10-13 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>  on Tue, 12 Oct 1999
> |     3560: nnml:help
>
> This is one of the groups created by the gnus-group-create-useful-group
> function (cf variable gnus-useful-groups).  It should actually be an nndoc
> group pointing at the file gnus-tut.txt.

Has Lars added 3551 new messages?  (he he)

I thought of that too, so before posting I opened the help group with
the normal `G h'.  It opened as an nndoc group as expected.  I then
deleted (C-k) this strange ghost "help" group.

I often get News and Mail with a short batch script and keep a log of
the activity.  Watching that log I see the ghost "help" group being
subscribed to in the messages:

Reading active file via nnml...
[...] snip
Opening nnfolder server on archive...

Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
*Subscribe newsgroup: nnml:help*
7 new newsgroups have arrived
Checking new news...
Opening nndraft server...
[...] snip

* Re: May be 0.97 related
       [not found]     ` <m3oge2x8zy.fsf@plugh.mccorp.com.au>
@ 1999-10-15  0:56       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-10-15  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Sandiford <ms@mcdev.com.au> writes:

>     Harry> Paul Stevenson <spaul@mail.phy.ornl.gov> writes:
>     >> > Thinking it may be a long forgotten split rule I tried: > >
>     >> `grep 'help' ~/.gnus' <no hits>
>     >>
>     >> Do you have a '~/Mail/help' directory which could give some clue?
>
>     Harry> No... I checked that before posting:
>
>     Harry> find ~/Mail -type f -name '*help*' -print <no hits>
>                        ^^^^^^^
>
> This would need to be "-type d" for a directory for nnml folders?

Yeah, that was a typo I acutally ran -type d  and plain '
'find Mail -name help '  There is no such directory in Mail or news
yet every time I kill it it gets resubscribed next time I do a batch fetch.