* pgnus-0.69 hang problem
@ 1999-01-15 14:18 Jeff Murphy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Murphy @ 1999-01-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

pgnus-0.69
XEmacs 20.4 "Emerald" [Lucid] (sparc-sun-solaris2.4) of Fri Feb 27 1998 on grind
	(xemacs = binary distribution from xemacs.org)
SunOS smurfland.cit.buffalo.edu 5.6 Generic_105181-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

i decided to try out pgnus-0.69 (currently using gnus-5.6.45) and i've run
into a problem:

it successfully reads my spool and delivers all of my mail to the
various folders (all are nnml folders). i can see the

Wrote /u1/opnstaff/jcmurphy/Mail/blah/1234

messages. however, once all of the mail is sorted and placed in folders,
xemacs goes into a cpu chewing loop. truss doesnt show any system calls
taking place, and the window doesnt refresh. a control-g does successfully
break the loop, but that results in gnus not running.

i switched back to gnus-5.6.45 and it works fine - sorts my mail and
gives me the *Group* buffer.

it doesnt seem related to the number of messages in the spool - i tried it
with ~300 messages and also with only about 5 and both times it went into
the loop.

is there something i can do that might produce a trace of where pgnus is
hanging up?

thx,

jeff

* Re: pgnus-0.69 hang problem
@ 1999-01-15 14:29 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-01-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Murphy writes:

> it successfully reads my spool and delivers all of my mail to the
> various folders (all are nnml folders). .... however, once all of the
> mail is sorted and placed in folders, xemacs goes into a cpu chewing
> loop.

> is there something i can do that might produce a trace of where pgnus is
> hanging up?

(setq debug-on-quit t)

Then hit C-g when it feels like it's looping.

--
Colin

* Re: pgnus-0.69 hang problem
@ 1999-01-15 14:38 ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-01-15 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Murphy <jcmurphy@smurfland.cit.buffalo.edu> writes:

> i decided to try out pgnus-0.69 (currently using gnus-5.6.45) and i've run
> into a problem:

You've been unlucky, most of the pgnus versions (At least recently) have
been pretty stable but you've hit upon a well known bug I'd guess.

> Wrote /u1/opnstaff/jcmurphy/Mail/blah/1234

> it doesnt seem related to the number of messages in the spool - i tried it
> with ~300 messages and also with only about 5 and both times it went into
> the loop.

Has one of the messages in the spool got a long list of recipients?
This is known to cause a problem with 0.69.

> is there something i can do that might produce a trace of where pgnus is
> hanging up?

Yep, before starting gnus do the following

M-x set-variable RET
debug-on-quit RET
t RET
M-x gnus     (or gnus-no-server whichever you use ...)

Hit C-g when Gnus has been hung for a while and you should get a
backtrace which you can mail either here or to bugs@gnus.org

If the top line of the stack trace is something about checking for
duplicates (I can't remember the exact line sorry ...) then it's
probably the same problem a few people have had. It is apparently fixed
in the (Hopefully soon to be released ...) pgnus 0.70

HTH
Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: pgnus-0.69 hang problem
@ 1999-01-15 15:17 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-15 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Murphy <jcmurphy@smurfland.cit.buffalo.edu> writes:

> i switched back to gnus-5.6.45 and it works fine - sorts my mail and
> gives me the *Group* buffer.

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.70.