From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Search for regexp in body
Date: 14 Feb 1998 06:49:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

>   Harry> I want to find all instances that contain the info and then be able
>   Harry> to look at the subject lines and authors in a summary buffer.  A
>   Harry> limited view of the findings.
>
>   Harry> Can this be done with currant Quassia-gnus?
>
> Nope.
>
> I wrote a backend for glimpse (which is a searchengine) that goes over your
> entire mail and returns a list of mails "/home/swa/Mail/inbox/5 ..." that
> match a particular expression. Unfortunately my elisp knowledge isn't
> sufficient to create a summary buffer from that list. If someone wants to
> extend the code, I'm happy to post it.

Sorry to be a little dense here, but from your quote above
"/home/swa/Mail/inbox/5..." it is not clear how the findings are listed.
Does it list the number of hits in a mailbox or list the messages by
Message ID  or some other way?

In other words, how do you get from running glimpse to reviewing its
findings?

In my limited experience with glimpse, you can have "N" number of lines
printed before and after each occurence of regexp, or some such.  Does
your code display the whole posting or hi-lite only the regexp or what?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com