* user-full-name and gnus-posting-styles
@ 2011-03-01 11:05 ltsampros
From: ltsampros @ 2011-03-01 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I'm using latest Emacs from bzr as of yesterday, and I've noticed the
following behaviour which used to work with the Gnus included in Emacs
23.1:

(setq user-full-name "Leonidas Tsampros"
      user-mail-address "username@lala.gr")

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*" (address "username@lala.gr"))
	("lala" (address "username@lala1.gr"))
	("soupa" (address "username@soupa.gr"))
	("mousaka" (address "username@mousaka.com"))
	("baz" (address "me@baz.com"))
))

Upon sending a mail, my name is not included in the From header. What has
changed with regards to this setting?

I also tested setting 'name' in the .* post-style, with no luck.

Thanks,
Leonidas

* Re: user-full-name and gnus-posting-styles
@ 2011-03-01 12:05 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-01 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltsampros; +Cc: ding

ltsampros@upnet.gr writes:

Hi Leonidas,

> I'm using latest Emacs from bzr as of yesterday, and I've noticed the
> following behaviour which used to work with the Gnus included in Emacs
> 23.1:
>
> (setq user-full-name "Leonidas Tsampros"
>       user-mail-address "username@lala.gr")
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       '((".*" (address "username@lala.gr"))
> 	("lala" (address "username@lala1.gr"))
> 	("soupa" (address "username@soupa.gr"))
> 	("mousaka" (address "username@mousaka.com"))
> 	("baz" (address "me@baz.com"))
> ))
>
> Upon sending a mail, my name is not included in the From header. What
> has changed with regards to this setting?

Hm, my settings are more or less equivalent, and for me, it just works
with a pretty recent bzr emacs and Gnus from git.

What's your value of `message-from-style'.  The behaviour you describe
sounds like you've set it to nil explicitly.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: user-full-name and gnus-posting-styles
@ 2011-03-01 12:38   ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2011-03-01 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> ltsampros@upnet.gr writes:
>
> Hi Leonidas,
>
>> I'm using latest Emacs from bzr as of yesterday, and I've noticed the
>> following behaviour which used to work with the Gnus included in Emacs
>> 23.1:
>>
>> (setq user-full-name "Leonidas Tsampros"
>>       user-mail-address "username@lala.gr")
>>
>> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>>       '((".*" (address "username@lala.gr"))
>> 	("lala" (address "username@lala1.gr"))
>> 	("soupa" (address "username@soupa.gr"))
>> 	("mousaka" (address "username@mousaka.com"))
>> 	("baz" (address "me@baz.com"))
>> ))
>>
>> Upon sending a mail, my name is not included in the From header. What
>> has changed with regards to this setting?
>
> Hm, my settings are more or less equivalent, and for me, it just works
> with a pretty recent bzr emacs and Gnus from git.
>
> What's your value of `message-from-style'.  The behaviour you describe
> sounds like you've set it to nil explicitly.
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks! That was it! In the docs it states:

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 23.2 of Emacs.

I wonder why this changed though.

* Re: user-full-name and gnus-posting-styles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> I wonder why this changed though.

Good question:

(defcustom message-from-style 'default
  ;; In Emacs 24.1 this defaults to the value of `mail-from-style'
  ;; that defaults to:
  ;; `angles' in Emacs 22.1~23.1, XEmacs 21.4, 21.5, and SXEmacs 22.1;
  ;; `system-default' in Emacs 23.2, and 24.1

What on Earth is `system-default'?

* Re: user-full-name and gnus-posting-styles
@ 2011-03-06 11:19       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-03-06 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Mar 05 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Good question:
>
> (defcustom message-from-style 'default
>   ;; In Emacs 24.1 this defaults to the value of `mail-from-style'
>   ;; that defaults to:
>   ;; `angles' in Emacs 22.1~23.1, XEmacs 21.4, 21.5, and SXEmacs 22.1;
>   ;; `system-default' in Emacs 23.2, and 24.1
>
> What on Earth is `system-default'?

I can't answer this.  But these changes were probably done after Emacs
switched the default of `mail-user-agent' to `message-user-agent'.  The
goal was to make it behave closer to `sendmail-user-agent's defaults.

Bye, Reiner