* gnus-group-expire-articles loops on nnimap group with total-expire
@ 2009-12-01 10:11 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2009-12-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Platform: Intel Atom,
          "Linpus Linux" (FC8 derivative),
	  GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.1) of 2007-10-24 on xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
	  No Gnus v0.11 (CVS update today)

When I do `C-c C-x' on top of an nnimap group with the following group
parameters:

 ((uidvalidity . "1221068358")
  (total-expire . t)
  (expiry-target . "nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv"))

the expiry seems to loop, attempting to expire the same articles again
and again.

Here's what's to be found in the *Messages* buffer
 nnimap: Setting marks in inbox.arkiv...done
 nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv...done
 nnimap: Setting marks in inbox.arkiv...done
 nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv...done
 Regenerating in nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv
(multiple times)

Does anyone know what could be causing this loop?  This seemed to be
working the first time I tried it.

* Re: gnus-group-expire-articles loops on nnimap group with total-expire
@ 2009-12-01 11:20 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2009-12-01 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Platform: Intel Atom,
>           "Linpus Linux" (FC8 derivative),
> 	  GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.1) of 2007-10-24 on xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com
> 	  No Gnus v0.11 (CVS update today)
>
> When I do `C-c C-x' on top of an nnimap group with the following group
> parameters:
>
>  ((uidvalidity . "1221068358")
>   (total-expire . t)
>   (expiry-target . "nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv"))
>
> the expiry seems to loop, attempting to expire the same articles again
> and again.
>
> Here's what's to be found in the *Messages* buffer
>  nnimap: Setting marks in inbox.arkiv...done
>  nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv...done
>  nnimap: Setting marks in inbox.arkiv...done
>  nnimap: Updating info for nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv...done
>  Regenerating in nnimap+mailhost:inbox.arkiv
> (multiple times)
>
> Does anyone know what could be causing this loop?  This seemed to be
> working the first time I tried it.

Are you sure that it's the same article? nnimap with an expiry-target is
extremely slow.  It will copy one by one article instead of just letting
the imap server move the whole bunch.

I've been using this patch for a long time:

 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64810

Bjørn

* Re: gnus-group-expire-articles loops on nnimap group with total-expire
@ 2009-12-01 13:24   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2009-12-01 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Are you sure that it's the same article?

Not sure.  But it writes "Marking article for deletion" many times to
the minibuffer.  And the numbers it writes there, are the same.