From: Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: auto auto-expirable
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:22:17 +0000	[thread overview]

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Otherwise, how about the user option like the following?
> It never slows Gnus, though it doesn't provide the means to
> customize the behavior group by group.

> (defcustom gnus-inhibit-auto-auto-expiry nil
>   "If non-nil, don't do auto auto-expiry when moving or copying articles.
> `Auto auto-expiry' means that read articles, even if they haven't been
> marked as expirable, will be automatically marked as expirable when
> moved or copied to a group in which to perform auto-expiry."
>   :version "23.2"
>   :group 'gnus-summary
>   :type 'boolean)

I like that, provided a changed default :-). I think the
proposed behaviour, while useful for some, is counterintui-
tive. IMHO one doesn't expect marks to change by a simple
copying/moving.

  Especially, since it requires a group change when you want
to archive a mail in a auto-expirable group: Consider moving
a) a mail to be archived and b) a mail to be auto-expired.
With current Gnus setup, you read mail a) and move it, and
read mail b), set the expirable mark and move it. With your
patch, while handling mail b) gets simpler, you would have
to tick mail a), move it, change to the destination group
and mark it as read.

Tim