* gnus-agent and header download
@ 2003-09-03 22:54 Faried Nawaz
From: Faried Nawaz @ 2003-09-03 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I run gnus on my dialup box, and connect to an nntpcache server across my
dialup link that gets me gmane.* and a partial usenet feed.  I have gnus
configured with

- the nntp server agentized
- gnus-read-active-file set to 'some
- gnus-nov-is-evil set to nil
- gnus-agent-cache is t
- gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article in my gnus-select-article-hook hook.

I also have article prefetch turned on.

My problem is that when I enter some newsgroups (especially the gmane ones),
gnus spends a long time downloading headers.  This occurs even if there are
only three or four new messages in the newsgroup.  How can I make gnus only
download the headers it needs?

I thought gnus-agent was supposed to help here, but it doesn't appear to.
Maybe my combination of settings is working against me here.

Faried.
--
^self

* Re: gnus-agent and header download
@ 2003-09-10  2:24 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-10  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Faried Nawaz <news@pain.hungry.com> writes:

> My problem is that when I enter some newsgroups (especially the
> gmane ones), gnus spends a long time downloading headers.  This
> occurs even if there are only three or four new messages in the
> newsgroup.  How can I make gnus only download the headers it needs?
>
> I thought gnus-agent was supposed to help here, but it doesn't
> appear to.  Maybe my combination of settings is working against me
> here.

Try setting `nntp-record-commands' to t.  Maybe the *nntp-log* buffer
will reveal the problem.

* Re: gnus-agent and header download
@ 2003-09-16  6:45 ` Mark Triggs
From: Mark Triggs @ 2003-09-16  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Faried Nawaz <news@pain.hungry.com> writes:

> My problem is that when I enter some newsgroups (especially the gmane
> ones), gnus spends a long time downloading headers. This occurs even
> if there are only three or four new messages in the newsgroup. How can
> I make gnus only download the headers it needs?

What's your value for the 'gnus-fetch-old-headers' variable? I had
always found that an awful lot of headers were being downloaded for the
messages I was seeing, so I set this variable to nil for a couple of my
larger groups and it *greatly* reduced the amount of stuff downloaded
for me.

Mark

--
Mark Triggs