From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: Gnus and resilience to datafile corruption...
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 19:58:15 -0400	[thread overview]

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
> It would seem reasonable to create a .properties file, similar to the
> .marks, that stored individual group properties in the nnml groups.

This could be done, sort of, but not very well without an enhancement
to the backend interface.  Backends can update Gnus's copy of the
group parameters, but backends aren't ever notified when the user
changes parameters a la -request-set-mark for marks, so they can't
tell whether their copy or Gnus's copy is more up to date.

> * nntp group marks and properties
>
> These are only stored in the .newsrc.eld file, resulting in my losing
> all the information about them. WIBNI they were stored in the nnml
> redundant and split style somewhere?

If you want redundancy, keep backups.  Duplicating information storage
is pointless when Gnus has no way of knowing that one form of storage
is more reliable than another.  It's just one more thing that can
break.

Note that you can specify all your group properties in the
gnus-parameters variable, if your .gnus is more reliable than your
.newsrc.eld.

paul