From: Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk>
Subject: Re: gnus-correct-length vs. string-width
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 02:32:38 +0100	[thread overview]

jas@extundo.com (Simon Josefsson) writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Is the built-in function `string-width' known to be broken?
>
> When I try the examples from the original thread
> (<87itf461hj.fsf@inanna.rimspace.net> etc)

Thanks for the pointer.  I hadn't noticed that it is customizable with
`gnus-use-correct-string-widths'.  So it's not so bad after all, though
I think nil would maybe be a better default, because it is so slow.

But there still seems to be a bug in the code in
`gnus-parse-simple-format'.  If I set `gnus-use-correct-string-widths'
to nil, `gnus-correct-length' is still used, although less frequently
than before.

Hmm, I don't really understand the code, but AFAICS the problem is the
condition in line 558 (gnus-spec.el):

	  (if (or max-width cut-width ignore-value
		  (and (featurep 'xemacs)
		       gnus-use-correct-string-widths))

which causes `gnus-correct-pad-form' to be used even if
g-u-c-string-widths is nil.