* unplugged/failure to display expunged
@ 1999-09-27 11:26 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-27 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I thought this problem had gone away when I quit using:
(setq gnus-read-active-file nil).  But seems to have returned to one
nntp group.  gnu.emacs.gnus

Entering that group with C-u <RET> fails to display some 1800+
messages in the directory.  The .agentview and .overview files there
both start and end with these numbers:
((20042 . t)
(22193 . t))

This group appears in the groups listed for one category so is under
agent umbrella

Only 270 messages are displayed  ... Just what is on the nntp server.

This would seem like some kind of bug in gnus ability to display
articles that have been expunged from server, if it weren't for the
fact that all other agentized groups are displayed in full.
Everything on .agentview and .overview is shown in the summary buffer.

I must be overlooking some factor that is causing the abreviated
display in gnu.emacs.gnus.    Any guesses as to what it might be?

* Re: unplugged/failure to display expunged
@ 1999-09-27 18:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I must be overlooking some factor that is causing the abreviated
> display in gnu.emacs.gnus.    Any guesses as to what it might be?

What does the Agent active file group entry for this group look like?

* Re: unplugged/failure to display expunged
@ 1999-09-28  0:17   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-28  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I must be overlooking some factor that is causing the abreviated
> > display in gnu.emacs.gnus.    Any guesses as to what it might be?
>
> What does the Agent active file group entry for this group look like?

Ahaa, so thats where to look. You do mean:
/News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/agent.lib/active ... Right?

 It shows:
 gnu.emacs.gnus 22225 21924 y
What does that mean exactly.... something like below?

 22225
-21924
------
   301    Exactly what gnus unplugged is displaying currently

However:
 comp.lang.awk 10408 9208 y

10408
-9208
-----
 1200     Again exactly what gnus-unplugged displays

So what would have caused the gnu.emacs.gnus data to change.  It was
displaying many more Messages a few days ago.

There are 2125 Messages accounted for in /gnu/emacs/gnus/.agentview
... .overview. (I think)
ls .. shows:
ls  News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/gnu/emacs/gnus/[0-9]*|wc -l
2123

Not sure why there is a 2 number difference.  But anyway, can I edit
the active file and expect the display to show 2123 messages, with out
hosing something else?

* Re: unplugged/failure to display expunged
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-28  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ahaa, so thats where to look. You do mean:
> /News/agent/nntp/enews.newsguy.com/agent.lib/active ... Right?

Yup.

>  It shows:
>  gnu.emacs.gnus 22225 21924 y
> What does that mean exactly.... something like below?
>
>  22225
> -21924
> ------
>    301    Exactly what gnus unplugged is displaying currently

Indeed.

> Not sure why there is a 2 number difference.  But anyway, can I edit
> the active file and expect the display to show 2123 messages, with out
> hosing something else?

Yes.  But it would be interesting to find out why the active file
entry for this group got hosed.

* Re: unplugged/failure to display expunged
@ 1999-09-28  2:10       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-28  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Not sure why there is a 2 number difference.  But anyway, can I edit
> > the active file and expect the display to show 2123 messages, with out
> > hosing something else?
>
> Yes.  But it would be interesting to find out why the active file
> entry for this group got hosed.

I can't think of how to figure it out.  I did look in the backups I
have on board (3 days worth) and the active file is already hosed back
to Sept 25.  It must have been before that when I was able to see all
messages.

I may have fired up gnus in a situation that caused it to run 5.5 (ie
no pointer to pgnus*/lisp)  And I have recently started running some
code I adopted from a post of yours in batch mode:

I'm running it with the pointer to pgnus/lisp added and the "push"
line commented since under certain condition (not sure what) that push
caused gnus to stumble.

I run it like so:
emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs-dir/batch-fetch.el -f lars-fetch-news
(batch-fetch.el contains the code below)

batch-fetch.el
----------------
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "/usr/local/pgnus-0.96/lisp") load-path))

 (defun lars-fetch-news ()
   (interactive)
   ;(push "/usr/local/pgnus-0.96/lisp" load-path)
   (let ((init-file-user "")
 	(gnus-always-read-dribble-file t))
     (gnus))
   (gnus-group-send-drafts)
   (gnus-agent-fetch-session)
   (gnus-group-quit))

* Re: unplugged/failure to display expunged
@ 1999-09-28  2:29         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-28  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> >
> > > Not sure why there is a 2 number difference.  But anyway, can I edit
> > > the active file and expect the display to show 2123 messages, with out
> > > hosing something else?
> >
> > Yes.  But it would be interesting to find out why the active file
> > entry for this group got hosed.
>
> I can't think of how to figure it out.  I did look in the backups I
> have on board (3 days worth) and the active file is already hosed back
> to Sept 25.  It must have been before that when I was able to see all
> messages.

Correction    I looked in the wrong tar.gz file.  It turns out to look
like this:
 sept25:gnu.emacs.gnus 22149 21439 y
 sept26:gnu.emacs.gnus 22173 21439 y
 sept27:gnu.emacs.gnus 22185 21924 y  <= lost 500 posts
current:gnu.emacs.gnus 22230 21924 y

Something I did yesterday caused it... but can't think what.
It seems to be only gnu.emacs.gnus that was effected.  Would a kill and
retrieve from kill list cause this? (don't remember that happening but..)

> I may have  fired up gnus in  a situation that caused it  to run 5.5
> (ie no pointer  to pgnus*/lisp) And I have  recently started running
> some code I adopted from a post of yours in batch mode:

But again, it seems to only be gnu.emacs.gnus that is effected so
probably not any of the above.