* reading active file / the wait
@ 1999-09-25 15:20 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

For mnths I had (setq read-active-file nil) in .gnus, only recently
discovering it was causing problems with loosing readedness marks in
agent mode and making it impossible to transfer newly acquired news or
mail from an online gnus to an offline gnus.

So, now experimenting with various active file settings..

setting to "t"     The read takes app 12-14 seconds
setting to "some"  ditto

Should I see a difference?

  Also from the onboard Customization FAQ:
   * Q2.7 What, if any, relation is between "ask-server" and "(setq
       gnus-read-active-file 'some)"?

       In order for Gnus to show you the complete list of newsgroups, it
       will either have to either store the list locally, or ask the
       server to transmit the list. You enable the first with

                    (setq gnus-save-killed-list t)

[...] snip  remainder
[1] [NOTE: suggested edit for coming pgnus ...
     either remove the first either or either remove the second
     either.  Either one will do   (he he)]

I've also experimented with setting `gnus-save-killed-list' to "t"
thinking that would maybe speed things up.  But see no difference.
With `save-killed-list' set to "t".  Where is it saved (.newsrc.eld?)
and is that already the default?

Are there more adjustments to make or is the 12-14 second read just
endemic?

* Re: reading active file / the wait
@ 1999-09-25 23:28 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So, now experimenting with various active file settings..
>
> setting to "t"     The read takes app 12-14 seconds
> setting to "some"  ditto
>
> Should I see a difference?

Not necessariy, but that's really slow.

> I've also experimented with setting `gnus-save-killed-list' to "t"
> thinking that would maybe speed things up.

No, that doesn't make much difference.

> Are there more adjustments to make or is the 12-14 second read just
> endemic?

Kill off all the groups you don't read.

* Re: reading active file / the wait
@ 1999-09-26  0:10   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-26  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > setting to "t"     The read takes app 12-14 seconds
> > setting to "some"  ditto
> >
> > Should I see a difference?
>
> Not necessariy, but that's really slow.

I wondered if that speed was abnormal (modem connection 56k but
usually connects around 26-30)

> > Are there more adjustments to make or is the 12-14 second read just
> > endemic?
>
> Kill off all the groups you don't read.

Well, not being a "power user" I only have some 19 nntp groups, 3 of
which are unsubbed.  But I keep them around for an occasional look.

Would the "check-new-groups" setting be important?  I see no
difference with "nil" or "t".

I'm staying away from setting read-active-file to "nil" since I really
am enjoying the setup you posted as your 2 gnus on/off setup.  Thanks
for that...

* Re: reading active file / the wait
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I wondered if that speed was abnormal (modem connection 56k but
> usually connects around 26-30)

The speed is definitely abnormal, unless you use a 486 or something.

> Would the "check-new-groups" setting be important?  I see no
> difference with "nil" or "t".

You should:

(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'ask-server)