* quoted-printable sucks
@ 1999-07-20 17:39 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-07-20 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems to me that I used to be able to compose mail messages which
were routinely sent as 8bit, iso-8859-1, and I didn't have to do
anything special to make that happen.  Now (p0.95), it seems that
messages with "interesting" characters in them are still sent as
iso-8859-1, but Gnus wants to q-p'ify my universe rather than sending
them 8bit.

Is there some tweak in the vicinity of p0.9x that I was supposed to
make, to keep things happening 8bit-ish?

* Re: quoted-printable sucks
@ 1999-07-21 10:30 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 1999-07-21 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

|> It seems to me that I used to be able to compose mail messages which
|> were routinely sent as 8bit, iso-8859-1, and I didn't have to do
|> anything special to make that happen.  Now (p0.95), it seems that
|> messages with "interesting" characters in them are still sent as
|> iso-8859-1, but Gnus wants to q-p'ify my universe rather than sending
|> them 8bit.
|>
|> Is there some tweak in the vicinity of p0.9x that I was supposed to
|> make, to keep things happening 8bit-ish?

I'm doing this:

(eval-after-load "mm-bodies"
  '(setcdr (assq 'iso-8859-1 mm-body-charset-encoding-alist)
	   '8bit))

Dunno if there is anything more straight forward.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
schwab@suse.de                                   completely different."

* Re: quoted-printable sucks
@ 1999-07-21 12:09 ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 1999-07-21 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way, can anyone explain me why the following happens to me,
before I have to delve into gnus'source?  Sending a message from the
*Group* buffer (gnus-group-mail) sends it 8-bit encoded, while sending
a message from anywhere (message-mail) qp-encodes it (of course, I
have mail-user-agent set to message-user-agent).

Max.

* Re: quoted-printable sucks
@ 1999-08-27 20:43   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <masmef@maths.bath.ac.uk> writes:

> By the way, can anyone explain me why the following happens to me,
> before I have to delve into gnus'source?  Sending a message from the
> *Group* buffer (gnus-group-mail) sends it 8-bit encoded, while sending
> a message from anywhere (message-mail) qp-encodes it (of course, I
> have mail-user-agent set to message-user-agent).

Hm.  Nope.  All mail should be handled the same, I think...