* MIME .gif's are not being displayed
@ 1998-12-03  2:32 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-12-03  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since 0.59 (I think), cartoons in clari.editorials.cartoons.* and
clari.living.comics.* are displayed only intermittently.  I've run
these articles through metamail, which is quite happy with them,
spawning xv to show a perfectly normal image.  But these recent Gnus
releases show only, e.g.,

	From: foxtrot@clari.net (Bill Amend)
	Subject: FoxTrot for Thursday, December 3
	Newsgroups: clari.living.comics.foxtrot

	[1. image/gif (ft981203.gif)]

	.

No image is there, though Gnus seems to have the impression that one
is; `b' toggles it out, to show the trailing `...', and `b' again
brings it back to this condition.

I can forward a sample article or two, privately, if someone
(Shenghuo?) needs an example.  These articles consist entirely of just
the image, using "multipart/mixed" (pointlessly, I'd say, but that's
ClariNet's choice).

* Re: MIME .gif's are not being displayed
@ 1998-12-03  4:36 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-12-03  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> Since 0.59 (I think), cartoons in clari.editorials.cartoons.* and
> clari.living.comics.* are displayed only intermittently.  I've run
> these articles through metamail, which is quite happy with them,
> spawning xv to show a perfectly normal image.  But these recent Gnus
> releases show only, e.g.,
>
> 	From: foxtrot@clari.net (Bill Amend)
> 	Subject: FoxTrot for Thursday, December 3
> 	Newsgroups: clari.living.comics.foxtrot
>

> 	[1. image/gif (ft981203.gif)]
>
> 	.

  Me too, but it looks like the problem started at 0.61. See the my
other mailing to this list a few minutes ago: "images not being
encoded after pgnus-0.61".

--
Mike.

* Re: MIME .gif's are not being displayed
@ 1998-12-03  4:42   ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-12-03  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

>   Me too, but it looks like the problem started at 0.61. See the my
> other mailing to this list a few minutes ago: "images not being
> encoded after pgnus-0.61".

  Oops, it's with received mail in your case. Well, it might still be
related :-).

--
Mike.

* Re: MIME .gif's are not being displayed
@ 1998-12-03  6:29     ` Matt Pharr
From: Matt Pharr @ 1998-12-03  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> >   Me too, but it looks like the problem started at 0.61. See the my
> > other mailing to this list a few minutes ago: "images not being
> > encoded after pgnus-0.61".
>
>   Oops, it's with received mail in your case. Well, it might still be
> related :-).

If you're using an external base64-decoder-program, make sure switches to
it are set like this:

(setq base64-decoder-switches  '("-u"))

rather than like:

(setq base64-decoder-switches  "-u")

I had it the second way for a while and things worked fine, but then I got
the above-mentioned behavior in p0.61.  Hrvoje pointed this change out
earlier today in <kigk90akx3k.fsf@jagor.srce.hr>.

-matt
--
Matt Pharr                                   mmp@graphics.stanford.edu
<URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>

* Re: MIME .gif's are not being displayed
@ 1998-12-03 11:43 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-03 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> Since 0.59 (I think), cartoons in clari.editorials.cartoons.* and
> clari.living.comics.* are displayed only intermittently.

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.62.

* Re: MIME .gif's are not being displayed
@ 1998-12-03 13:26   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-12-03 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:
>> Since 0.59 (I think), cartoons in clari.editorials.cartoons.* and
>> clari.living.comics.* are displayed only intermittently.

> Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.62.

Well, I don't know what you fixed for 0.62, but I just fixed my own
stupidity here.  After the recent comments on base64 decoders, I
started using mimencode.  Unfortunately...

(setq base64-decoder-switches '("-u" "-p"))
                                       ^
...this is a Bad Thing to use.  Taking out the 2nd option gave me back
GIFs in clari.* groups.

I think I should stop trying out new things when I have a fever...