* nnimap splitting (yeah again)
@ 2011-03-04 10:20 Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hey,

I've a strange behavior with nnimap splitting.

If I define nnimap-split-methods and leave nnimap-split-fancy
untouched it splits all my incoming mails into mail.misc folder. I guess
this is because the default value of nnmail-split-fancy is "mail.misc"

Is this the wanted behavior?

And BTW, I kept reading all threads about splitting but still I can't
make my splitting rules to be taken into account. Mails are just stuck
into the INBOX folder, I just don't understand why.

Here is the relevant parts of my gnus.el:
(setq nnmail-split-fancy nil)
(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("INBOX.example" "^Subject: My Example")))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "MyImapServer"
                (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge t)
                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-crosspost nil)
                (nnimap-split-download-body nil)
                (nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-methods)
                (nnimap-split-fancy nil)
                )))

Thanks

--
Olivier

* Re: nnimap splitting (yeah again)
@ 2011-03-04 14:06 ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-04 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've tried to switch to nnimap-split-fancy too but I still get no
splitting.

Here is the relevant part I defined:

        (nnimap "ExampleMails"
                (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge t)
                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-fancy
                 '(|
                   ("from" "\\(toto\\|tutu\\)@example.com"
                    (|
                     ("subject" "test" "INBOX.test")
                     ("subject" "bla" "INBOX.bla")
                     ))

                   ;; default destination group for unclassified mails,
                   ;; don't leave them in INBOX
                   "INBOX.unknown"
                   )))

@ 2011-03-05 10:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "MyImapServer"
>                 (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")

>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
>                 (nnimap-expunge t)

These four lines are unnecessary...

>                 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>                 (nnimap-split-crosspost nil)
>                 (nnimap-split-download-body nil)
>                 (nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-methods)

But, anyway, here's the problem.  It's a Lisp arcana problem.  You're
setting `gnus-secondary-select-methods' to a quoted list, which means
that nothing in there is evaluated.  So you're setting
`nnimap-split-methods' to the *symbol* `nnmail-split-methods'.  Which
won't work.  You want it to be the value of `nnmail-split-methods'
instead.

This will do the trick:

@ 2011-03-05 13:39   ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-05 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-05 11:14:42, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>       '((nnimap "MyImapServer"
>>                 (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
>
>>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>>                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
>>                 (nnimap-expunge t)
>
> These four lines are unnecessary...
>
>>                 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>>                 (nnimap-split-crosspost nil)
>>                 (nnimap-split-download-body nil)
>>                 (nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-methods)
>
> But, anyway, here's the problem.  It's a Lisp arcana problem.  You're
> setting `gnus-secondary-select-methods' to a quoted list, which means
> that nothing in there is evaluated.  So you're setting
> `nnimap-split-methods' to the *symbol* `nnmail-split-methods'.  Which
> won't work.  You want it to be the value of `nnmail-split-methods'
> instead.
>
> This will do the trick:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       `((nnimap "MyImapServer"
>                 (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
>                 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>                 (nnimap-split-methods ,nnmail-split-methods)
>                 )))

As I discovered fancy splitting which produces a more readable filtering
list I switched to it but still it does not do any splitting.
Here is the code I now use after reading your comments:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|
       ("from" "toto@example.com"
        (|
         ("subject" "toto" "INBOX.toto")
         ("subject" "tutu" "INBOX.tutu")
         )
       )
       ;; default destination group for unclassified mails,
       ;; don't leave them in INBOX
       "INBOX.unknown"
       ))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      `((nnimap "MyImapServer"
                (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge t)
                (nnimap-split-fancy ,nnmail-split-fancy)
                )))

--

@ 2011-03-07 11:23     ` Olivier Sirven
From: Olivier Sirven @ 2011-03-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2011-03-05 14:39:22, Olivier Sirven <the.slaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I discovered fancy splitting which produces a more readable filtering
> list I switched to it but still it does not do any splitting.
> Here is the code I now use after reading your comments:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>       '(|
>        ("from" "toto@example.com"
>         (|
>          ("subject" "toto" "INBOX.toto")
>          ("subject" "tutu" "INBOX.tutu")
>          )
>        )
>        ;; default destination group for unclassified mails,
>        ;; don't leave them in INBOX
>        "INBOX.unknown"
>        ))
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       `((nnimap "MyImapServer"
>                 (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                 (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
>                 (nnimap-expunge t)
>                 (nnimap-split-fancy ,nnmail-split-fancy)
>                 )))

I finally got my splitting rules working! For the record and for other
people who are/will having troubles as I did: nnimap-split-fancy should
not be used in the server configuration, just use nnimap-split-methods
even if you're using fancy splitting. So you'll have something like
this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      `((nnimap "MyImapServer"
                (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                (nnimap-expunge t)
                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-methods
                 (|
                  ("from" "toto@example.com"
                   (|
                    ("subject" "toto" "INBOX.toto")
                    ("subject" "tutu" "INBOX.tutu")
                     )
                   )
                  ;; default destination group for unclassified mails,
                  ;; don't leave them in INBOX
                  "INBOX.unknown"
                  )))))

Hope this helps other