From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Adulterate summary lines
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:14:07 -0500	[thread overview]

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> I leave to others to interpret if that makes any sense or not. :-)
>
>> Using this option how would one make the Keywords line appear in
>> summary buffer or maybe the Date: line?
>
> Let the gnus-user-format-function-x above return what you want to add
> as a string.

Well, first I can't even begin to see what on earth it does.  Or I
mean how it does this.  How can you tell this function which string to
return for example?

I don't see the stuff you posted as a result of your function.  What I
see is a summary buffer that looks like:

?  [  59: test] Adulterate summary lines
RA     [  90: test]
R      [  28: test] Gnus for information storage (Was: Adulterate summary lines)

Line one is my post, line 2 is your answer and line 3 is another
message from you about using gnus as info storage tool.

I have not the slightest clue how or what is coding this.

It would be handy if you provided some notes as to what is doing what.
(defun gnus-user-format-function-x (STR)
    (message (prin1-to-string STR))
  "test")

The only part I actuall sort of see is that "test" being a string in
double quotes was returned.

As I posted to start the manual says "function would be passed the
current header"

What header is being passed?

But before I say  any more I'm going to research the stuff you suggested.