* nnimap, agent and expiration
@ 2002-11-17 10:59 Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2002-11-17 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

After reading gnus info manual I do not understand if
1. exipration works with nnimap
2. it works over agent

Can you help me to grasp in it?
--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

* Re: nnimap, agent and expiration
@ 2002-11-17 11:56 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-17 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@giotto.sj.ru> writes:

> After reading gnus info manual I do not understand if
> 1. exipration works with nnimap

It does.  It works as described in the manual.

> 2. it works over agent

Well, agent expiration and normal expiration are two different
things, but they both work as described in the manual.

(In the case of nnimap, normal expiration controls when will articles
be deleted on the server, whereas agent expiration controls when will
articles be deleted from the agent cache.)

> Can you help me to grasp in it?

Does this help?

kai

* Re: nnimap, agent and expiration
@ 2002-11-17 13:02   ` Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2002-11-17 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@giotto.sj.ru> writes:
>> After reading gnus info manual I do not understand if
>> 1. exipration works with nnimap
KG>
KG> It does.  It works as described in the manual.

I am confused with "Expiring Mail" topic, since from the midle of it
only nnmail backend is discussed (nnmail-expiry-wait,
nnmail-expiry-wait-function, nnmail-expiry-target, even there is no
nnimap-expiry-wait).

>> 2. it works over agent
KG>
KG> Well, agent expiration and normal expiration are two different
KG> things, but they both work as described in the manual.
KG>
KG> (In the case of nnimap, normal expiration controls when will articles
KG> be deleted on the server, whereas agent expiration controls when will
KG> articles be deleted from the agent cache.)

I know, thanks.

>> Can you help me to grasp in it?
KG>
KG> Does this help?

more or less.
--

@ 2002-11-17 15:21     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-17 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@giotto.sj.ru> writes:

> I am confused with "Expiring Mail" topic, since from the midle of it
> only nnmail backend is discussed (nnmail-expiry-wait,
> nnmail-expiry-wait-function, nnmail-expiry-target, even there is no
> nnimap-expiry-wait).

Ah, you're right.  Normally, nnmail variables don't work for nnimap,
but the expiry variables appear to be an exception.

The situation is indeed confusing.

Simon, can you say something to clear this up?  Maybe the IMAP node
should mention this?  Or the expiry node should mention it?

What about nnmaildir, btw?  It's also not derived from nnmail...

kai

* Re: nnimap, agent and expiration
@ 2002-11-17 16:08       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-11-17 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Simon, can you say something to clear this up?  Maybe the IMAP node
> should mention this?  Or the expiry node should mention it?

Indeed.  I added a sub-node to the IMAP node, similar to the node
about splitting in IMAP, on expiring in IMAP:

Expiring in IMAP
----------------

   Even though NNIMAP is not a proper NNMAIL derived backend, it
supports most features in regular expiring (see *note Expiring Mail::).
Unlike splitting in IMAP (see *note Splitting in IMAP::) it do not clone the
NNMAIL variables (i.e., creating NNIMAP-EXPIRY-WAIT) but reuse the
NNMAIL variables.  What follows below are the variables used by the
NNIMAP expiry process and any related notes on their usage.

   A note on how the expire mark is stored on the IMAP server is
appropriate here as well.  The expire mark is translated into a IMAP
client specific mark `gnus-expire' and store on the message.  This
means that only likely only Gnus will understand and treat the
`gnus-expire' mark properly, although other clients may allow to view
client specific flags on a message.  It also means that your server
must support the permanent storage of client specific flags on
messages.  Most though, fortunately.

`nnmail-expiry-wait'

`nnmail-expiry-wait-function'
     These variables are fully supported.  The expire value can be a
     number, the symbol IMMEDIATE or NEVER.

`nnmail-expiry-target'
     This variable is supported, and internally implemented by calling
     the NNMAIL functions that handle this.  It contains an optimization
     that if the destination is a IMAP group on the same server, the
     article is copied instead of appended (that is, uploaded again).

* Re: nnimap, agent and expiration
@ 2002-11-17 16:20         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-11-17 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Indeed.  I added a sub-node to the IMAP node, similar to the node
> about splitting in IMAP, on expiring in IMAP:
>
> client specific flags on a message.  It also means that your server
> must support the permanent storage of client specific flags on
> messages.  Most though, fortunately.

I think you forgot a 'do' (or something) somewhere in the last sentence
:-)