* nnimap: any way to update server from summary buffer without getting new mail?
@ 2002-10-30  1:20 Tony E. Bennett
From: Tony E. Bennett @ 2002-10-30  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

oort 0.07

I use tkbiff to show me "unread" msgs on my nnimap:INBOX.

As long as I stay in the summary buffer, tkbiff will still
display the msgs I just read as "unread".

Is there any command I can run from summary buffer that will
flush out changes to the imap server so the msgs get marked
as "read"?

thanks

--
--tony

* Re: nnimap: any way to update server from summary buffer without getting new mail?
@ 2002-10-30 14:39 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-10-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett) writes:

> oort 0.07
>
> I use tkbiff to show me "unread" msgs on my nnimap:INBOX.
>
> As long as I stay in the summary buffer, tkbiff will still
> display the msgs I just read as "unread".
>
> Is there any command I can run from summary buffer that will
> flush out changes to the imap server so the msgs get marked
> as "read"?

Does M-g work?

* Re: nnimap: any way to update server from summary buffer without getting new mail?
@ 2002-10-30 14:49   ` Tony Bennett
From: Tony Bennett @ 2002-10-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett) writes:
>
>> oort 0.07
>>
>> I use tkbiff to show me "unread" msgs on my nnimap:INBOX.
>>
>> As long as I stay in the summary buffer, tkbiff will still
>> display the msgs I just read as "unread".
>>
>> Is there any command I can run from summary buffer that will
>> flush out changes to the imap server so the msgs get marked
>> as "read"?
>
> Does M-g work?

Yes, it does work, but is relatively slow and "screen-flashy" enough
that it is annoying at times.

Hoping to have something that just does the server update and
doesn't pull in any new mail...

@ 2002-11-12 19:09     ` Tony E. Bennett
From: Tony E. Bennett @ 2002-11-12 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

The key seems to be (gnus-summary-update-info), which seems kind
of buried: is there a reason this isn't bound to a cmd?  or
documented?

Hoping it is safe :-)  I am using it.  I bind this to "g" in
summary in my nnimap groups; much faster and less destructive:

(defun my-gnus-summary-rescan-group (&optional heavy)
  "Rescan group; go to first unread msg."
  (interactive "P")
  (if heavy
      ;; use heavy handed one which updates the server's "read" article list
      (gnus-summary-rescan-group)

    ;; lightweight, doesn't redo the summary buffer

    ;; First, update server
    (gnus-summary-update-info)
    ;; then pull in new mail
    (gnus-summary-insert-new-articles))

  ;; select new article or last article, if no unread articles
  (or (gnus-summary-first-unread-subject)
      (progn
        (goto-char (point-max))
        (previous-line 1))))