* Strange problem posting to nnimap groups
@ 2002-07-01 13:35 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's really strange.  People at my site enter an nnimap group, hit
`a' to post a message, check that the right Newsgroups header is
present, and hit C-c C-c.  And then they get a message that the group
does not exist.

I think this is because gnus-current-select-method is (nntp "") in the
message buffer, instead of (nnimap "" ...parameters...) as it should
be.  But in the summary buffer, before hitting `a', it's still
(nnimap ...).

Do you have any idea why this might be?

I started edebugging message-setup but got lost in a twisty maze of
parentheses, all alike...

Why does it happen for them but not for me?

kai

* Re: Strange problem posting to nnimap groups
@ 2002-07-02  8:15 ` Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2002-07-02  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai writes:

> It's really strange.  People at my site enter an nnimap group, hit
> `a' to post a message, check that the right Newsgroups header is
> present, and hit C-c C-c.

They _check_ that the right Newsgroups header is present?  Does
that mean that it is usually there by default?  This does not
happen to me, which is primarily why I resort to using Outlook via
VMware when I need to post articles to IMAP groups.  Perhaps it is
a feature of latest CVS versions (mine is dated 2002-05-17)?  Or do
I need to configure something to make this work (if yes, why
doesn't it work that way by default)?

> And then they get a message that the group does not exist.

FWIW, there at least was (I don't have foreign groups at the moment
so I cannot check) a somewhat related problem when one does not
enter a group (no matter if it's nnimap or foreign nntp server or
whatever) but uses C-u a in the group buffer.  The result is
different from first entering the group and then hitting a, which
is what I would expect.  That is, the select method is not the
select method of the group but the default select method
(gnus-select-method).

> I started edebugging message-setup but got lost in a twisty maze of
> parentheses, all alike...

:)

> Why does it happen for them but not for me?

I don't know :(  I just checked and it happens to me as well (in
addition to me not getting a Newsgroups header, but perhaps this is
precisely because gnus-current-select-method is nnml (my default
select method) and not nnimap, the select method of the group where
I hit `a').

--
Hannu

* Re: Strange problem posting to nnimap groups
@ 2002-07-02 12:49   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-02 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai writes:
>
>> It's really strange.  People at my site enter an nnimap group, hit
>> `a' to post a message, check that the right Newsgroups header is
>> present, and hit C-c C-c.
>
> They _check_ that the right Newsgroups header is present?  Does
> that mean that it is usually there by default?

I think the Newsgroups header is auto-inserted depending on the
nnimap-news-groups server parameter.  But then, there is some
home-grown Lisp code which also inserts a Newsgroups header for some
of my colleagues.  So some of them have two headers.

> This does not happen to me, which is primarily why I resort to using
> Outlook via VMware when I need to post articles to IMAP groups.

Wow.  It's so easy to just enter the Newsgroups header...  You can
make a keybinding for it.

> Perhaps it is a feature of latest CVS versions (mine is dated
> 2002-05-17)?  Or do I need to configure something to make this work
> (if yes, why doesn't it work that way by default)?
>
>> And then they get a message that the group does not exist.
>
> FWIW, there at least was (I don't have foreign groups at the moment
> so I cannot check) a somewhat related problem when one does not
> enter a group (no matter if it's nnimap or foreign nntp server or
> whatever) but uses C-u a in the group buffer.

We have only checked entering the group and then hitting `a'.

> The result is different from first entering the group and then
> hitting a, which is what I would expect.  That is, the select method
> is not the select method of the group but the default select method
> (gnus-select-method).

This is what happens for us.

> I don't know :(  I just checked and it happens to me as well (in
> addition to me not getting a Newsgroups header, but perhaps this is
> precisely because gnus-current-select-method is nnml (my default
> select method) and not nnimap, the select method of the group where
> I hit `a').

Hm.  Before hitting `a', they have gnus-current-select-method equal to
(nnimap ...) -- which is from gnus-secondary-select-methods --, after
hitting `a' in the newly created message buffer,
gnus-current-select-method is equal to (nntp ...) -- which is from
gnus-select-method.

@ 2002-07-03 22:37 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-07-03 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> It's really strange.  People at my site enter an nnimap group, hit
> `a' to post a message, check that the right Newsgroups header is
> present, and hit C-c C-c.  And then they get a message that the group
> does not exist.

Have you tried using Gcc instead of Newsgroups?  See
message-allow-no-recipients.

paul

* Re: Strange problem posting to nnimap groups
@ 2002-07-04 10:10   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-04 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> It's really strange.  People at my site enter an nnimap group, hit
>> `a' to post a message, check that the right Newsgroups header is
>> present, and hit C-c C-c.  And then they get a message that the group
>> does not exist.
>
> Have you tried using Gcc instead of Newsgroups?  See
> message-allow-no-recipients.

Well, workarounds exist aplenty.¹  For example, C-u 0 C-c C-c also
works.

The question is: why did it work for them with an older version of
Gnus (also a snapshot) but fails with the current version?  And why
does it work for me with the current version (with all versions that
I've tried, in fact)?

It would be really nice to make it work again for my colleagues.

kai

¹ Is that actually correct, in addition to being old-fashioned?  I'm
  not sure how to use this nifty term "aplenty".  If it exists at
  all, that is...

* Re: Strange problem posting to nnimap groups
@ 2002-07-06  3:17     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-07-06  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> Well, workarounds exist aplenty.¹
> ¹ Is that actually correct, in addition to being old-fashioned?  I'm
>   not sure how to use this nifty term "aplenty".  If it exists at
>   all, that is...

I think it's normally used as an adjective following the noun, rather
than as an adverb.  Workarounds aplenty exist.

Dunno about the Newsgroups problem, though.

paul