* Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-12 22:49 Mattias Ahnberg
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2001-08-12 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Starting with versions of gnupg after v1.0.4 I can no longer encrypt
mails, it fails to find my key when i issue C-c / e, I've came so far
that I understand that it is probably a regexp trying to match a
string whose output have changed from 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 (--list-keys or
--list-secret-keys probably). I've tried to check mc-gpg.el for a
reference of this, and I've ended up in the mc-gpg-lookup-key
function, but since I am a Lisp illiterate I don't know how to use
this or to figure out what is wrong.

Can someone help me, or have even fixed this one? I haven't understood
how to use the gpg.el in the contrib/ directory in any way at all
similar to the way mailcrypt works (which I like _alot_). Any pointers
or tips on how to preferably get mailcrypt to recognize the 1.0.6
version aswell would be highly appreciated, or if someone can give me
a quick tutorial on what I need to do to be able to use gpg.el to
verify (preferably automatically), to sign, to encrypt+sign, to import
keys and anything else you might want to use in the mail.

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

/ahnberg.

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13  8:10 ` Werner Koch
From: Werner Koch @ 2001-08-13  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Aug 2001 00:49:19 +0200, Mattias Ahnberg said:

> mails, it fails to find my key when i issue C-c / e, I've came so far
> that I understand that it is probably a regexp trying to match a
> string whose output have changed from 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 (--list-keys or
> --list-secret-keys probably). I've tried to check mc-gpg.el for a

There is a regex which tries to match a fixed amount of colons, but
GnuPG recently introduced a new field and with it another colon.  The
regex should only check that there are at _least_ this amount of
colons.  The new fields are optional.

Fix is trivial and may already be in the latest mailcrypt.

  Werner

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13  9:17   ` Mattias Ahnberg
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2001-08-13  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> "WK" == Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> writes:

WK> There is a regex which tries to match a fixed amount of colons, but
WK> GnuPG recently introduced a new field and with it another colon.  The
WK> regex should only check that there are at _least_ this amount of
WK> colons.  The new fields are optional.

WK> Fix is trivial and may already be in the latest mailcrypt.

Where can I find a later version of this, I've tried to see but the
only mailcrypt I've been able to find haven't been updated for a long
time. Do you know how this new regexp should look? Or what I can do to
easily fix it?

Thank you in advance, again.

/ahnberg.

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13 13:14   ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-13 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 >> mails, it fails to find my key when i issue C-c / e, I've came so far
 >> that I understand that it is probably a regexp trying to match a
 >> string whose output have changed from 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 (--list-keys or
 >> --list-secret-keys probably). I've tried to check mc-gpg.el for a

 > There is a regex which tries to match a fixed amount of colons, but
 > GnuPG recently introduced a new field and with it another colon.  The
 > regex should only check that there are at _least_ this amount of
 > colons.  The new fields are optional.

 > Fix is trivial and may already be in the latest mailcrypt.

Hi all,

I don't know if it's the same problem, but I can't encrypt neither sign
messages with my key.

I just compiled the latest cvs (oort 0.4) from today. I am using gnupg
1.6 from debian/sid.

I use Mime -> Security -> Sign PGP/Mime (C-c RET s p), it adds a line
like "#part sign=pgpmime" at the beginning of the mail, but when I hit
C-c C-c I got

Sending...
mc-get-pgp-keydir: Search failed: "^Key ring:\\s *'\\(.*\\)'"

I tried to remove mailcrypt 3.5.6 (just to see) and I have the same
problem. Any idea is welcome.

Another question, I received a signed mail, I had to manually ask for
sign checking, but I am sure I can ask Gnus to do that automaticly,
can't I ?

Thanks.

--
Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org>
http://perso.LinuxFR.org/penso/

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13 15:44     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-13 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Werner Koch, ding

Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org> writes:

> I just compiled the latest cvs (oort 0.4) from today. I am using gnupg
> 1.6 from debian/sid.

Does it work to use gpg.el rather than mailcrypt?  See the variable
mml2015-use.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13 16:19       ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Werner Koch, ding

 >> I just compiled the latest cvs (oort 0.4) from today. I am using gnupg
 >> 1.6 from debian/sid.

 > Does it work to use gpg.el rather than mailcrypt?  See the variable
 > mml2015-use.

I have tried

(setq mml2015-use "gpg")

but it stays the same :(

--

@ 2001-08-13 16:37 ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2001-08-13 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "Ahn" == Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

  Ahn> Starting with versions of gnupg after v1.0.4 I can no longer encrypt
  Ahn> mails, it fails to find my key when i issue C-c / e, I've came so far
  Ahn> that I understand that it is probably a regexp trying to match a
  Ahn> string whose output have changed from 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 (--list-keys or
  Ahn> --list-secret-keys probably). I've tried to check mc-gpg.el for a
  Ahn> reference of this, and I've ended up in the mc-gpg-lookup-key
  Ahn> function, but since I am a Lisp illiterate I don't know how to use
  Ahn> this or to figure out what is wrong.

This is fixed in the latest mailcrypt package.

They're on SourceForge now, so try

    <http://mailcrypt.sf.net/>

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 9E7E2820>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13 17:03     ` Werner Koch
From: Werner Koch @ 2001-08-13 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Aug 2001 11:17:05 +0200, Mattias Ahnberg said:

> Where can I find a later version of this, I've tried to see but the

Just checked the ChangeLog, the fix is in 3.5.6 released 2001-05-21.
Well, I didn't updated my CVS Gnus for a while - maybe I will also get
into trouble if I do that.

Ciao,
    Werner

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-13 18:51         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Werner Koch, ding

Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org> writes:

> (setq mml2015-use "gpg")

(setq mml2015-use 'gpg)

kai
--

@ 2001-08-14  9:39           ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-14  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Werner Koch, ding

 >> (setq mml2015-use "gpg")

 > (setq mml2015-use 'gpg)

Sorry I suck too much at LISP. Well it works better but I still have
trouble to sign messages (encrypting is fine). Looks like the arguments
are wrong. I am trying to fix this myself, and I'll return the results
of my search.

Thanks.

--

@ 2001-08-15 22:51           ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-15 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > (setq mml2015-use 'gpg)

Ok it works better. However it took a while before I made this work.
I had to set up the following:

 '(gpg-command-encrypt (quote (gpg "--batch" "--output=-" armor textmode "--always-trust" "--encrypt" recipients plaintext-file)))
 '(gpg-command-sign-detached (quote (gpg "--batch" "--passphrase-fd=0" "--output=-" armor textmode "--detach-sign" sign-with-key)))
 '(gpg-command-sign-cleartext (quote (gpg "--batch" "--passphrase-fd=0" "--output=-" "--clearsign")))
 '(gpg-command-sign-encrypt (quote (gpg "--batch" "--passphrase-fd=-1" "--output=-" "--always-trust" "--sign" "--encrypt")[3~" 'delete-char))

into my emacs file. I don't know why, it was using gpg-2comp ... What's
strange is that when I send a mail where I did ask for a signature, it
asks my passphrase twice. I didn't figure out why yet.

I have to say than configuring Gnus to make it work with GPG is a pain
in the ass compared to Mutt which I used before. Maybe is there some
more work to be done on it.

Also does anyone knows how I can ask Gnus to automaticly verify
signature when I receive a mail which contains one ?

Thanks.

--

@ 2001-08-15 23:11             ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-15 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > into my emacs file. I don't know why, it was using gpg-2comp ... What's
 > strange is that when I send a mail where I did ask for a signature, it
 > asks my passphrase twice. I didn't figure out why yet.

Ok found it. It asks once to send the mail, and another for the
archive. Is there a way to prevent that?

--

@ 2001-08-16  7:36               ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2001-08-16  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

OoO En cette nuit nuageuse du jeudi 16 août 2001, vers 01:11, Fabien
Penso disait:

>> into my emacs file. I don't know why, it was using gpg-2comp ... What's
>> strange is that when I send a mail where I did ask for a signature, it
>> asks my passphrase twice. I didn't figure out why yet.

> Ok found it. It asks once to send the mail, and another for the
> archive. Is there a way to prevent that?

Maybe by setting a small delay for remembering the passphrase ?

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-16  9:49             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-16  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org> writes:

> Also does anyone knows how I can ask Gnus to automaticly verify
> signature when I receive a mail which contains one ?

M-x apropos RET verify RET

Apropos is your friend.  See the variable mm-verify-option.

kai
--

@ 2001-08-16 10:03               ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-16 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >> Also does anyone knows how I can ask Gnus to automaticly verify
 >> signature when I receive a mail which contains one ?

 > M-x apropos RET verify RET

 > Apropos is your friend.  See the variable mm-verify-option.

As always, thanks Kai. I just didn't think about searching there. It
works perfect now.

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-16 14:08                 ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 >> Ok found it. It asks once to send the mail, and another for the
 >> archive. Is there a way to prevent that?

 > Maybe by setting a small delay for remembering the passphrase ?

Yeah, I did use 180 :

(setq gpg-passphrase-timeout 180)

Works perfect. I wonder now how to sign automaticly every mail I send. I
also wonder how I can choose a list of people (a field in my .bbdb ?)
which will receive encrypted mails. I know I've seen such a thread
somewhere talking about it, but I can't put my hand on it anymore. I
don't remember if a solution was given however. Any links with info is
welcome :)

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-16 23:57                   ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2001-08-16 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org> writes:

> Works perfect. I wonder now how to sign automaticly every mail I send. I
> also wonder how I can choose a list of people (a field in my .bbdb ?)
> which will receive encrypted mails. I know I've seen such a thread
> somewhere talking about it, but I can't put my hand on it anymore. I
> don't remember if a solution was given however. Any links with info is
> welcome :)

You want to look for bbdb-pgp.el. I have never used it, but I hear it
works well. Maybe a write-up about it on my.gnus.org would be nice.

Colin

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-17  6:43                   ` Felix Hagemann
From: Felix Hagemann @ 2001-08-17  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabien Penso <penso@linuxfr.org> writes:

> I wonder now how to sign automaticly every mail I send. I also wonder
> how I can choose a list of people (a field in my .bbdb ?)  which will
> receive encrypted mails. I know I've seen such a thread somewhere
> talking about it, but I can't put my hand on it anymore. I don't
> remember if a solution was given however. Any links with info is
> welcome :)

You'll find infos on BBDB and encryption on <URL:http://my.gnus.org>.

Bye,
Fx
--
Hear your drummer!
Key-ID: 0xDA1E5CD9

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-17  8:06                     ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 2001-08-17  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/bbdb/bbdb/bits/bbdb-pgp.el

> You'll find infos on BBDB and encryption on <URL:http://my.gnus.org>.

No he won't, but you're invited to write something :-)

* Re: Mailcrypt and gpg > v1.0.4
@ 2001-08-17 12:19                     ` Fabien Penso
From: Fabien Penso @ 2001-08-17 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 >> Works perfect. I wonder now how to sign automaticly every mail I send. I
 >> also wonder how I can choose a list of people (a field in my .bbdb ?)
 >> which will receive encrypted mails. I know I've seen such a thread
 >> somewhere talking about it, but I can't put my hand on it anymore. I
 >> don't remember if a solution was given however. Any links with info is
 >> welcome :)

 > You want to look for bbdb-pgp.el. I have never used it, but I hear it
 > works well. Maybe a write-up about it on my.gnus.org would be nice.

Well the problem is that bbdb-pgp.el looks like it has been written for
mailcrypt, and I use gpg.el/oort 0.04.

I suck in LISP, I tried to modify it but it doesn't work at all. So I've
just printed "Programming in Emacs LISP. An Introduction". Maybe will I
make than work later...

For now I guess I'll just do without that feature :)

--

@ 2001-08-20 18:52                       ` Felix Hagemann
From: Felix Hagemann @ 2001-08-20 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin-dated-998294765.2e85f3@socha.net> writes:

> > You'll find infos on BBDB and encryption on <URL:http://my.gnus.org>.
> No he won't, but you're invited to write something :-)

I was thinking of this:
<URL:http://my.gnus.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=4>

OK, this is more of pointer than solid info, but it leads to the relevant
packages.

fx