* Menu bar suggestion
@ 2001-08-06 23:16 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-06 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think there should be a `Help on context' menu item somewhere
_prominent_ which does gnus-info-find-node.  Maybe under the Help
menu?  (Is it possible to have mode-speficic items under the Help
menu?)  Or maybe under the Gnus menu (previously known as Misc)?

I'm not sure what to call the menu item.  If it's under the Help menu,
it should have `Gnus' in its name.  If we just want one item, then
maybe something with `context' is good.  Otherwise we might want `Help
on Gnus Group Buffer' and `Help on Gnus Summary Buffer' etc.

Thoughts?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* using v5.8.8, would like to compress a mail group
@ 2001-08-07  1:07 ` dave
From: dave @ 2001-08-07  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gnus v5.8.8, and I use nnmail-split-fancy to sort my mail
into groups.  I have one mail group that is quite large that I want to
'freeze' into a compressed state so that I can later 'thaw' it and
access it with all the ease that I currently do.  Is there a gnus
function that will let me do this to a single group?

I don't expect to get mail that gets split into that group, but if I
do, will that mail get merged when I 'thaw?'

Dave

* Re: using v5.8.8, would like to compress a mail group
@ 2001-08-08 15:47   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-08-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

dave@bfnet.com writes:
> I'm using gnus v5.8.8, and I use nnmail-split-fancy to sort my mail
> into groups.  I have one mail group that is quite large that I want to
> 'freeze' into a compressed state so that I can later 'thaw' it and
> access it with all the ease that I currently do.  Is there a gnus
> function that will let me do this to a single group?

No Gnus function that I know of, but with nnmaildir, you can tar up a
group (including marks, but not group parameters) and delete the
original.  Then you can untar it later.

> I don't expect to get mail that gets split into that group, but if I
> do, will that mail get merged when I 'thaw?'

With nnmaildir, you can't (yet) split mail into a nonexistent group.
This would signal an error, probably.  So after tarring, you'd delete
the messages, but not the group itself.  I think you could merge them
later just by unpacking the tarball over the existing group.  But if
you're very paranoid, you might first want to check the output of "tar
tf group.tar" to make sure none of the files already exist.

paul

* Re: using v5.8.8, would like to compress a mail group
@ 2001-08-08 22:04   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

dave@bfnet.com writes:

> I'm using gnus v5.8.8, and I use nnmail-split-fancy to sort my mail
> into groups.  I have one mail group that is quite large that I want to
> 'freeze' into a compressed state so that I can later 'thaw' it and
> access it with all the ease that I currently do.  Is there a gnus
> function that will let me do this to a single group?

I've been thinking about this.  Maybe the best way is to move all
articles into an nnfolder group.  There is a way to zip those, but I
have never tried.  Either here or on gnu.emacs.gnus there was a
posting saying how to do it.

Maybe the way is to turn on auto-compression-mode and then to manually
zip the file.  But I'm not sure.

But the advantage is that no explicit thawing is required -- you can
just access the group.

> I don't expect to get mail that gets split into that group, but if I
> do, will that mail get merged when I 'thaw?'

There is no predefined functionality for this.  But how about keeping
an empty group around after moving all messages into the zipped
nnfolder group.  Then you can move new messages there, as well.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Menu bar suggestion
@ 2001-08-17 13:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-17 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm not sure what to call the menu item.  If it's under the Help menu,
> it should have `Gnus' in its name.  If we just want one item, then
> maybe something with `context' is good.  Otherwise we might want `Help
> on Gnus Group Buffer' and `Help on Gnus Summary Buffer' etc.

I think that sounds like a good idea, but I have no idea how to
implement it...