* Problems with 8-bit headers
@ 2000-04-21  6:13 Florian Weimer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Florian Weimer @ 2000-04-21  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: roman, vvv

In the past, there were some issues with 8-bit headers (they were
encoded using the wrong charset or something like this).  Is this
problem still present in Gnus 5.8.5?

* Re: Problems with 8-bit headers
@ 2000-04-26 11:20 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-04-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Vladimir Volovich

I haven't follow this thread from the beginning, so I apologize for
possible repetition.

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

>However, there is a bug somewhere in core Emacs which makes it
>misbehave when i receive messages with 8-bit content-transfer-encoding
>and characters in the range 0x80--0x9f (which often happens when i
>receive messages in UTF-8). I store mails in nnmbox backend, and when
>i receive such a message, i get ENORMOUS time delays when pressing `g'
>in a group buffer, and article numbering gets broken (displayed number
>of articles in a group is overestimated), and such things. I think
>this is because Emacs uses "intelligent" auto-detection algorithm
>which wants to interpret a `mbox' buffer as if it were in some charset
>(mbox is opened in raw mode, but this does not help to switch of this
>"intelligent" behavior, and certain character combinations choke
>Emacs). This is a long-standing bug which is there for more than a
>year, but i don't know how to report it... :-(
>
>	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

I have not (yet) installed mule-ucs, so I cannot try to reproduce your
problem. However, I am intrigued by it.

I am not sure the bug is in core Emacs. If you open mbox in raw mode
(I understand you mean actually `raw-text'), then multibyte character
support is switched off. In consequence, the characters in the range
0x80--0x9f are OK (otherwise they would be interpreted as parts of
multibyte character representations). There is probably something
wrong in the way they are processed later.

If it appears that is it really a GNU Emacs bug, you should report it
to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org (you can use for it the menu-bar: [Help]
[Send Bug Report]).

Best regards

Janusz

                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW
Prof. Janusz S. Bien, Warsaw Uniwersity
Na tym koncie czytam i wysylam poczte i wiadomosci offline -
prosze nie oczekiwac szybkiej odpowiedzi!
Data w naglowku to data rozpoczecia pisania listu, a nie jego wyslania.
On this account I read/post mail/news offline - do not expect
an immediate answer!
The date in the header refers to the moment when I started to write
the letter, not to the moment when I sent it.

* Re: Problems with 8-bit headers
@ 2000-04-30 21:21 Janusz S. Bien
From: Janusz S. Bien @ 2000-04-30 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Florian Weimer, Vladimir Volovich

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org> writes:

>Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:
[...]
>> * possibility to set up preferred charsets to encode message bodies on
>>   a per-group basis.
>
>> * possibility to specify that the preferred charset to encode a
>>   message body should be the same as the charset used to encode the
>>   message (or mime part) i'm replying to.
>
>Currently, these two features are very hard to implement, at least
>in the general case, because Emacs unifies only ASCII characters in
>different MULE charsets.  For example, an ISO-8859-1 "=E4" and one in
>ISO-8859-2 are completely different characters from Emacs' view.  As a
>result, it is impossible to decide whether the preferred MIME charset
>can be used---without additional mapping tables.

Could you please elaborate? When you save or write a buffer, Emacs
can decide whether the buffer content (e.g. input directly from the
keyboard) can be represented in the default buffer coding system; if
not, Emacs offers the choice of appropriate coding systems.

Why do you think that an analogical treatment of the preferred MIME
charset it is impossible? What is wrong with such Emacs functions as
`select-safe-coding-system-function', `detect-coding-with-priority',
`detect-coding-region', `prefer-coding-system' etc.?

Regards

Janusz

                     ,