From: Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru>
Subject: Re: Problems with 8-bit headers
Date: 24 Apr 2000 22:20:12 +0400	[thread overview]

"FW" == Florian Weimer writes:

 FW> In the past, there were some issues with 8-bit headers (they were
 FW> encoded using the wrong charset or something like this).  Is this
 FW> problem still present in Gnus 5.8.5?

No, there is no such a problem with current gnus, thanks! (i.e. you
have fixed a bug). I'm able to get 8-bit chars correctly encoded
according to the gnus-group-posting-charset-alist value.

Gnus continues to get more and more powerful features. :-)

Some features i'd like to see:

* possibility to set up preferred charsets to encode message bodies on
  a per-group basis. Currently, i have a global setting

  (put-charset-property 'cyrillic-iso8859-5 'preferred-coding-system 'koi8-r)

  in my .emacs file; the mm-preferred-coding-system in mm-util.el
  extracts the info from charset properties, but this is done
  globally, -- not on a per group basis. I'd like to be able to send
  messages in, say, koi8-r to some groups and in windows-1251 in some
  other groups and in iso-8859-5 to other, etc. (all these are
  cyrillic charsets based on a single coding system).

* possibility to specify that the preferred charset to encode a
  message body should be the same as the charset used to encode the
  message (or mime part) i'm replying to.

  (these two features could perhaps be configured via the same
  variable)

* possibility to auto-select the charset for 8-bit chars in headers
  depending on the charset used for the message body (of for the first
  text/* mime part of the message). i.e. if the message body is in,
  say, windows-1251, then gnus should be able to treat 8-bit chars in
  headers as if they were in windows-1251 (but not simply get the
  charset from gnus-group-charset-alist on a per-group basis)

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.