* Missing QP encoding of header?
@ 1999-08-06 18:41 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I used to get a correctly quoted-unreadable encoded From header, but
then I set message-default-headers to the line you see, and now it
isn't encoded any more.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Missing QP encoding of header?
@ 1999-08-06 21:16 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-06 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why was the From header correct on that message?  Very strange!
kai
--

@ 1999-08-06 23:29 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-08-06 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> I used to get a correctly quoted-unreadable encoded From header,
KG> but then I set message-default-headers to the line you see, and
KG> now it isn't encoded any more.

I guess you set message-default-headers in a .el file.  Then,
correctness depends on the coding-system for the .el file.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: Missing QP encoding of header?
@ 1999-08-07  7:30   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-07  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> KG> I used to get a correctly quoted-unreadable encoded From header,
> KG> but then I set message-default-headers to the line you see, and
> KG> now it isn't encoded any more.
>
> I guess you set message-default-headers in a .el file.  Then,
> correctness depends on the coding-system for the .el file.

Hm?  I set message-default-headers in ~/.gnus, but the problem isn't
that there is a \201 or something.  The problem is that I expected

    From: address (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)

and what I got was

    From: address (Kai Großjohann)

Please note the missing quoted printable encoding.

Does Gnus behave differently in news and mail groups?

kai
--

@ 1999-08-07  7:56     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-08-07  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> Hm?  I set message-default-headers in ~/.gnus, but the problem isn't
KG> that there is a \201 or something.  The problem is that I expected

KG>     From: address (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)

KG> and what I got was

KG>     From: address (Kai Großjohann)

KG> Please note the missing quoted printable encoding.

KG> Does Gnus behave differently in news and mail groups?

You are right.

In message-send-mail, headers are encoded by
	    (mail-encode-encoded-word-buffer)

while in message-send-news, headers are encoded by
            (let ((mail-parse-charset message-posting-charset))
              (mail-encode-encoded-word-buffer))

Therefore, if message-posting-charset is iso-8859-1, then your name
will not be encoded in news. message-posting-charset is a local
variable in message buffer.  You can use
gnus-group-posting-charset-alist to configure it. For example, if you
always want your name encoded, you can set it to ((".*" nil)) or just
nil.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: Missing QP encoding of header?
@ 1999-08-08  1:45       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-08  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> while in message-send-news, headers are encoded by
>             (let ((mail-parse-charset message-posting-charset))
>               (mail-encode-encoded-word-buffer))
>
> Therefore, if message-posting-charset is iso-8859-1, then your name
> will not be encoded in news. message-posting-charset is a local
> variable in message buffer.  You can use
> gnus-group-posting-charset-alist to configure it. For example, if you
> always want your name encoded, you can set it to ((".*" nil)) or just
> nil.

You say `headers are encoded', but the documentation seems to imply
that header encoding and body encoding are always the same (for any
given message).  Hm.  Can Gnus be told to, say, QP-encode the headers
but send the body as-is?

I think I'll have to ask the guys from/for the de.* newsgroups what's
supposed to be done there.

kai
--

@ 1999-08-08 13:40         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-08-08 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think I'll have to ask the guys from/for the de.* newsgroups what's
> supposed to be done there.

Basically, there are two options: encoded-words à la RFC 2047 and
transcribing the problematic characters.  For fields like `From:',
`Sender:' or `Reply-To:', both are acceptable.  (I'd suggest to use
encoded-words for hierarchies where MIME-capable readers and iso-8859-1
charsets are quite common, such as de.*, at.* fr.*, and transcription
for other hierarchies, especially tw.*.)

For the `Subject:' line, transcription should be preferred, because
some news readers modify encoded-words, which can have quite a negative
impact on threading.

* Re: Missing QP encoding of header?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You say `headers are encoded', but the documentation seems to imply
> that header encoding and body encoding are always the same (for any
> given message).  Hm.  Can Gnus be told to, say, QP-encode the headers
> but send the body as-is?

Well, (darn that car alarm; it's really getting annoying), er, uhm,
yes, the headers and the bodies are handled somewhat separately.

The default is to RFC2047-encode the headers in mail, and to not
RFC2047-encode headers in news if you're posting with headers that are
the same as the default charset in the hierarchy you're posting tto.

* Re: Missing QP encoding of header?
@ 1999-09-24 21:42           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-24 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The default is to RFC2047-encode the headers in mail, and to not
> RFC2047-encode headers in news if you're posting with headers that are
> the same as the default charset in the hierarchy you're posting tto.

Well, the people from de.ALL say that it is customary to always encode
headers, regardless of the charset used in the body.  For the body, QP
is preferred (for Latin 1), but 8bit is accepted , too.

How do I achieve this?

Every time I post in de.comm.software.newsreader, a lot of people
start to shout about my headers :-|

kai
--

@ 1999-09-25 10:18             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, the people from de.ALL say that it is customary to always encode
> headers, regardless of the charset used in the body.  For the body, QP
> is preferred (for Latin 1), but 8bit is accepted , too.
>
> How do I achieve this?

Try setting `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' to nil and see what
happens.  (I haven't tried myself, but it looks like that should do
the trick.)

* Re: Missing QP encoding of header?
@ 1999-09-26 16:58               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-09-26 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Try setting `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' to nil and see what
> happens.  (I haven't tried myself, but it looks like that should do
> the trick.)

Well, I have now added an entry to do this for de.ALL groups:

(add-to-list 'gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
             '("^de\\." nil))

Now, I get mails from Germans who see my postings in other groups and
complain :-)  Anyway, would you consider making this (setting for
de.ALL groups) the default?

kai
--

@ 1999-09-27 17:42                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now, I get mails from Germans who see my postings in other groups and
> complain :-)  Anyway, would you consider making this (setting for
> de.ALL groups) the default?

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.97.1.  (Er, I mean 0.98, or
something.)