* Sever expunged /agent viewable?
@ 1999-07-15  1:11 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-07-15  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am I the "Lone Ranger" on this:

I've carefully noted the oldest viewable articles in gnu.emacs.gnus
(agentized and downloaded with a predicate of "true" [all]), twice
now since the release of '0.91 (now running '0.95).  I've put comments
in Group params indicating the oldest articles dates.  After a few
days those articles disappear from Gnus view just as before 0.91.

Example:  Yesterday I entered (unplugged) gnu.emacs.gnus with `C-u
<RET>'.  The oldest articles on display were Jun 13-14.  Today I enter
the same group after downloading `J s' to agent.  Enter gnu.emacs.gnus
with C-u <RET>.  The oldest viewable articles are Jun 26.

Everthing from Jun  13-14 to Jun 26 is now invisible  but still in the
directory.  This is  not supposed to happen anymore.

Lars has suggested that my setup is hosed:

 Lars writes:
> No, but it sounds (from your other posts) like there's something
> seriously wrong with your Agent setup, I think.

Are other users seeing the behavior described above or is gnus
displaying your (expunged from server articles) as advertised?

As it happens, the NNTP server I use, shows the same message being the
oldest as does my gnu.emacs.gnus (agentized) group.

Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
Subject: Re: pop3.el and hanging emacs
From: John Saylor <jsaylor@mediaone.net>

* Re: Sever expunged /agent viewable?
@ 1999-08-27 18:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Example:  Yesterday I entered (unplugged) gnu.emacs.gnus with `C-u
> <RET>'.  The oldest articles on display were Jun 13-14.  Today I enter
> the same group after downloading `J s' to agent.  Enter gnu.emacs.gnus
> with C-u <RET>.  The oldest viewable articles are Jun 26.

This seems to work OK for me now.  Are you still seeing this?

* Re: Sever expunged /agent viewable?
@ 1999-08-28  0:01   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-08-28  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Example:  Yesterday I entered (unplugged) gnu.emacs.gnus with `C-u
> > <RET>'.  The oldest articles on display were Jun 13-14.  Today I enter
> > the same group after downloading `J s' to agent.  Enter gnu.emacs.gnus
> > with C-u <RET>.  The oldest viewable articles are Jun 26.
>
> This seems to work OK for me now.  Are you still seeing this?

No, I am seeing more of the down loaded articles now but still see
peculiar behavior, depending on how "unplugged mode is entered.

This is chronicled better in a recent post that you probably haven't
yet gotten to in your AMAZING marathon of replies.

Subject: 2 Agent behaviors
Date: 19 Aug 1999 17:59:02 -0700

In summary:  I see different "oldest article" dates depending on how I
enter `gnus-unplugged'.   I see one "oldest" date when going from
gnus-plugged to gnus-unplugged.   I see an older "oldest" date if
going to M-x gnus-unplugged  directly from a freshly started emacs (ie
without going plugged first).

Here is todays example of what I am talking about:

Entering gnu.emacs.gnus with C-u <RET> after going unplugged from a
running online gnus:

Oldest  displayed few...

7O  08-Aug [  21: Arcady Genkin       ] Re: Gnus rocks.
 1O  08-Aug     [  29: Hugh Lawson         ]
 1O  08-Aug     [  16: Kai Großjohann      ]
 1O  08-Aug     <  14: Lyndon Watson       >

Closing gnus and emacs..... Start emacs then `M-x gnus-unplugged':
Enter gnu.emacs.gnus (after first pressing "L" to find it.) with C-u <RET>

Oldest displayed few...

 2O  13-Jul [  15: Pranav Tiwari       ] mime customization\r 1O  13-Jul     [  16: Kai Großjohann      ]
25R  13-Jul [  60: Jonas Steverud      ] Re: Why use Gnus and Emacs?
 9O  13-Jul     <  22: Kai Großjohann      >
 8O  13-Jul         [  28: jmorris@nemonet.com ]