* nnmail-crosspost and (& ...) in nnmail-split-fancy
@ 1999-06-24 14:45 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 1999-06-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

My nnmail-split-fancy variable looks something like this:

 '(| ("gnus-warning" "duplication of messages" "duplicate")
     (any "jmt\\+usenet@nycap\\.rr\\.com"
	 (| ("subject" "re:.*" "misc")
	    ("references" ".*@.*" "misc")
	    "spam"))
     ("from" mail "mail.warning")
     ("from" "Cron Daemon" "cron")
     (&
      ;; mailing lists
      (to "linux-\\(\\w*\\)@vger\\.rutgers\\.edu" "list.linux-\\1")
      (to "bb@taex001\\.tamu\\.edu" "list.bb")
      ))

I also have nnmail-crosspost set to 'nil'.

Do I need the (& ...) layer, or will the nnmail-crosspost setting do
the right thing?

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at nycap dot rr dot com

* Re: nnmail-crosspost and (& ...) in nnmail-split-fancy
@ 1999-06-24 18:29 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-06-24 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@nycap.rr.com> writes:

> Do I need the (& ...) layer, or will the nnmail-crosspost setting do
> the right thing?

It depends on what you want to achieve.

* Re: nnmail-crosspost and (& ...) in nnmail-split-fancy
@ 1999-06-24 18:37   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 1999-06-24 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jack> Do I need the (& ...) layer, or will the nnmail-crosspost
    Jack> setting do the right thing?

    Per> It depends on what you want to achieve.

I apologize for misstating in my private reply that I'd said already
what I'd wanted to achieve.

Basically, the point is to ensure that messages are only saved in one
mailbox -- the first one that matches the fancy split.

I typoed in my split and ended up getting messages in two places --
one in the misc folder and one in the real folder.  I suspect I need
that (& ...) to keep that from happening.

I'm not sure, though, so that's why I asked.

I'm sorry for not being clear enough. :-)

Jack.
--

@ 1999-06-24 19:01     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-06-24 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@nycap.rr.com> writes:

> I typoed in my split and ended up getting messages in two places --
> one in the misc folder and one in the real folder.  I suspect I need
> that (& ...) to keep that from happening.

It is the other way around.  (& ...) is used when you _want_ a message
to appear in multiple folders.