* Message-ID
@ 1999-03-22  5:07 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-03-22  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Every time a discussion about What the RFCs have to say about how mail
headers look.  I end up thoroughly confused.

Its my understanding that the part of the message ID after the
ampersand is supposed to be a real pingable address.

In my case it is being generated as the name of my home lan,
chub.local.net or one of the other <machines>.local.net.  Thats how I
set up the network.

These are not pingable outside my local net since I'm a dialup
customer to a "real" ISP.   I have set sendmail to masquerade my
POP and SMTP providers domain "newsguy.com" and to masquerade the
"envelope" .  Still this private local domain is escaping onto the
internet in my message-ID.

I imagine Gnus can be made to generate message-IDs that say:
xxxxxx-fsf@newsguy.com  or something similar, but not sure if that is
desireable either.

Or is it misconfiguration on the machine?  If so what needs to be
changed?

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.2

* Re: Message-ID
@ 1999-03-22  7:41 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-03-22  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Every time a discussion about What the RFCs have to say about how mail
> headers look.  I end up thoroughly confused.
>
> Its my understanding that the part of the message ID after the
> ampersand is supposed to be a real pingable address.

No, it's sufficient if it's a fully-qualified domain name.  You don't
need to have a DNS entry for the FQDN, but it's better if there's
an MX record (for mail delivery).  An A record (`pingable address')
is certainly not required.  Of course, the FQDN must be from a name
space under your control, otherwise you can't guarantee the uniqness
of the message IDs (which is required for news articles).

* Re: Message-ID
@ 1999-05-12 14:48   ` Tibor Simko
From: Tibor Simko @ 1999-05-12 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

    FW> You don't need to have a DNS entry for the FQDN, but it's
    FW> better if there's an MX record (for mail delivery).  [...] Of
    FW> course, the FQDN must be from a name space under your control,
    FW> otherwise you can't guarantee the uniqness of the message IDs
    FW> (which is required for news articles).

What about the following situation.  I'm using PPP with dynamic IP.
While offline I'm posting to a local queue which is flushed once the
PPP connection is on.

  * stage #1: At the moment of posting, FQDN is junk-name.isp.com
    since PPP is off.  No DNS entry exists for junk-name.isp.com.  It
    seems impossible to assure the uniqueness of Message-ID since
    someone may very well choose the very same junk-name, post at the
    very same time, using the very same uid, MUA, etc, etc.

  * stage #2: At the moment of sending the message to ISP, FQDN is
    dynamic-name-isp-gives-me.isp.com, which is a DNS-happy name.
    Good, but it is too late to create Message-ID since the post has
    already been queued before.  Since Message-ID attribution already
    happened, it does not seem to be a good idea to rewrite it with
    the new hostname, for several reasons; e.g. someone could have
    used it while I typed my message off-line so we may find the same
    uniqueness problem as described above.

Should the Message-ID creation be left completely to the ISP level and
not dealt with locally at all, neither by MUA nor MTA?

Tibor
--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil.  --Donald E Knuth

* Re: Message-ID
@ 1999-05-12 14:59     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-05-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \

* Re: Message-ID
@ 1999-05-12 16:01           ` Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 1999-05-12 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

From: Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
Subject: Re: Message-ID
Date: 12 May 1999 16:50:37 +0200

> That's okay.  A msg id must be unique.  So, you put your local host
> name after the @ and something locally unique before the @.  Maybe
> your ISP generates the msg id when using mew?

Yes.

Later,

---
Shigeki Uno

* Re: Message-ID
@ 1999-05-12 15:55           ` Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 1999-05-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>
Date: 12 May 1999 10:42:59 -0400

> * Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>  on Wed, 12 May 1999
> | Oops. I already setted up hostname and domainname for my desktop machine
> | though...
>
> Gnus uses the system-name function to retrieve the local host name.  For an
> Internet node, this must be a fully-qualified domain name.  If it is not,
> your system is not properly configured to be an Internet node, and you get
> the 'totally-fudged-out-message-id' as a direct result.

 I got it. Thanks.

---
Shigeki Uno

* Re: Message-ID
       [not found]       ` <19990512225538Z.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
@ 1999-05-12 14:50         ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-05-12 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp> writes:

  > I'm a user of Mew and when I send a mail in Mew, Message-ID is made
  > like this:
  >
  >   year month day time loginname @ ISP's domain name
  >
  > As for Gnus, Message-ID is as follows:
  >
  >   something @ local hostname.local domainname
  >
  > # Both're quiet different :-(

That's okay.  A msg id must be unique.  So, you put your local host
name after the @ and something locally unique before the @.  Maybe
your ISP generates the msg id when using mew?

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

@ 1999-05-12 14:42         ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-05-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should

@ 1999-05-12 14:31         ` Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 1999-05-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 22:55:38 +0900

> Oops. I already setted up hostname and domainname for my desktop machine
> though...      ^^^|^^^

                    +--->set

Sorry...

---
Shigeki Uno

* Re: Message-ID
@ 1999-05-12 13:55       ` Shigeki Uno
       [not found]       ` <19990512225538Z.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
From: Shigeki Uno @ 1999-05-12 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>
Date: 12 May 1999 09:03:37 -0400

********************************addition*******************************

       [not found]   ` <19990512165228L.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
@ 1999-05-12 13:03     ` Stainless Steel Rat
       [not found]       ` <19990512225538Z.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-05-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.

@ 1999-05-12  7:52   ` Shigeki Uno
       [not found]   ` <19990512165228L.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
From: Shigeki Uno @ 1999-05-12  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com>
Date: 11 May 1999 13:51:57 -0400

> Gnus manufactures Message-IDs directly, to make sure they exist when
> needed.  The Message-ID you describe is correct, because it properly
> denotes where the message originated.  It is only the case that mail
> relays generate Message-ID when the origin client mailer has failed to
> provide it.
>
> If you really want to disable Gnus' generation of Message-ID, modify
> variable message-syntax-checks to disable Message-ID.

I don't need to care about it, do I ?

How about <86btft51j2.fsf@totally-fudged-out-message-id> ?
What does this mean ?

Thanks,

---
Shigeki Uno

* Re: Message-ID
       [not found] <19990512022600G.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
@ 1999-05-11 17:51 ` Karl Kleinpaste
       [not found]   ` <19990512165228L.Shigeki Uno@mediawars.ne.jp>
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-05-11 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-05-11 17:26 Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 1999-05-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hello all.

I'm new to this Gnus Mailing List. I'm running XEmacs-21.2.13 on
NetBSD/mac68k 1.4_BETA and sometimes write e-mails with Gnus 5.6.45
on XEmacs-21.2.13.

I wrote a e-mail and sent it myself for checking whether everything goes
well or not the other day.  I read recieved mail via another main mail
program called "mew" and found that Message-ID is wrong. Usually Message-ID
is made like this: 86btft51j2.fsf@provider's pop server name or domain name.
Right ? But as for e-mail which I sent, Message-ID is like this:
86btft51j2.fsf@lc520.shigenet.jp.

lc520 is hostname for my desktop machine and shigenet.jp is domainname for
may desktop machine. I connect to Internet via internet service provider
using ppp connection. ISP's domainname is "mediawars.ne.jp" and pop server's
name is "mail.mediawars.ne.jp".

What's wrong with that ?  Any suggestions, please.

Thanks,

---
Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>