* dealing with "mime" messages without c-t header
@ 1998-10-25  7:43 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-10-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

often in mailing lists served by majordomo, and in other situations
(gatewaying between fidonet and internet, etc) one can see messages
which do not contain content-type header (which was lost after
processing/gatewaying), but which were multipart/* before translation.

would it be possible to view these messages in gnus as if they were
normal multipart messages? maybe, adding some command which will try
to treat the message as such a broken mime message will be possible?

as far as i understand, such a comand should look for the first line
in the message body starting with regexp "^--[^ ]*$" and treat the
"[^ ]*$" part as a boundary. Perhaps, gnus should default to
multipart/mixed C-T for such messages.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: dealing with "mime" messages without c-t header
@ 1998-10-25 22:22 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-25 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> would it be possible to view these messages in gnus as if they were
> normal multipart messages? maybe, adding some command which will try
> to treat the message as such a broken mime message will be possible?
>
> as far as i understand, such a comand should look for the first line
> in the message body starting with regexp "^--[^ ]*$" and treat the
> "[^ ]*$" part as a boundary.

If someone were to write such a command, I'd apply the patches.  (The
command would have to guess what the separators were, and then insert
MIME headers into the header, and then just call gnus-display-mime.)

* Re: dealing with "mime" messages without c-t header
@ 1998-10-27  2:56 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1998-10-27  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

VV> often in mailing lists served by majordomo, and in other situations
VV> (gatewaying between fidonet and internet, etc) one can see messages
VV> which do not contain content-type header (which was lost after
VV> processing/gatewaying), but which were multipart/* before translation.

Majordomo?  Pardon?  Majordomo doesn't do anything with Content-Type:
headers.  It certainly doesn't strip them unless you go out of your way to
configure it to do so.

 - J< (a Majordomo maintainer)

* Re: dealing with "mime" messages without c-t header
@ 1998-10-27  9:03   ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-10-27  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JLT" == Jason L Tibbitts writes:

 VV> often in mailing lists served by majordomo, and in other
 VV> situations (gatewaying between fidonet and internet, etc) one can
 VV> see messages which do not contain content-type header (which was
 VV> lost after processing/gatewaying), but which were multipart/*
 VV> before translation.

 JLT> Majordomo?  Pardon?  Majordomo doesn't do anything with
 JLT> you go out of your way to configure it to do so.

Well, i meant majordomo-generated digests. When majordomo generates a
letter digest, it strips most of headers (except To, Subject, From,
Date), so MIME messages in digests become broken.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.