From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: ding archive at ftp.hpc.uh.edu
Date: 03 Jun 1998 09:34:29 -0700	[thread overview]

A little off topic for this list but relevant I hope:

Recently downloaded the /ding-list/ archive (old).  Since it takes so
long for the ftp process to list out the contents of /ding-list/ I just
used ncftp in recursive mode.  Quite a project and didn't turn out like
I thought it would.

The most recent messages were dated in May 97
I wanted more recent but not as recent as the 'recent-ding archive which
shows to be starting in March of 98.   Where are the messages inbetween
the most recent on /old-ding  and the oldest on /recent-ding/

Checking the archives at ftp.hpc.uh.edu  using ange-ftp after waiting
for the /ding-list/ dir to list out  I see the most recent listed as
being :
-rw-r--r-x   1 tibbs    staff        1887 Sep 23  1996 9997
-rw-r--r-x   1 tibbs    staff        1617 Sep 23  1996 9998
-rw-r--r-x   1 tibbs    staff        1203 Sep 23  1996 9999

>From 1996,  however the actual download has messages a year newer in
it. Am I misinterpreting the way dating is done on the files.  Or do you
have to look at the actual messages to get the right date or what?
Looking at a few on /recent-ding the message dates match the file dates.

But on the /ding-list the dates shown as file dates on the most recent
(last) messages (shown above) are not the same as message dates that get
downloaded.  The downloaded directory has lots of messages from 97.

I want messages from about Sept 97 to Feb/Mar 98.  How can I tell where
they are on the ftp site?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com