* Gnus.tar.gz/.tex files
@ 1998-04-18 21:21 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-18 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not too well versed in using Latex commands but have been able to make
nice .dvi files from 'refcard.tex' that comes in the /etc directory of
untarred gnus-5.6.4 .

Using the command:
latex refcard.tex <RET>    will generate a refcard.dvi file

However running the same command on:
gnusref.tex
postamble.tex

only produces the output below:
Reading the gnusref.log mentioned there didn't help much either.  Still
wasn't clear what had happened.

  > This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (C version 6.1)
  > (gnusref.tex
  > LaTeX2e <1996/12/01> patch level 1
  > Babel <v3.6h> and hyphenation patterns for american, german, loaded.
  > )
  > *
  > ! Emergency stop.
  > <*> gnusref.tex
  >
  > No pages of output.
  > Transcript written on gnusref.log.

It would be nice if a word or two of direction or instruction were
included  somewhere in the tar.gz, concerning making use of the files provided.

PS -- is there a refcard.tex or gnusref.tex available that is newer than
gnus-5.5?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Gnus.tar.gz/.tex files
@ 1998-04-18 23:14 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1998-04-18 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

H> Not too well versed in using Latex commands but have been able to
H> make nice .dvi files from 'refcard.tex' that comes in the /etc
H> directory of untarred gnus-5.6.4 .

refcard.tex is the only file you run latex on.  (Incidently, I think
you mean the text directory of the untarred dist?)

gnusref.tex is loaded by refcard.tex.

postamble.tex is used in the DVI version of the manual.

H> It would be nice if a word or two of direction or instruction were
H> included somewhere in the tar.gz, concerning making use of the
H> files provided.

Well, make dvi in the texi directory should do it, but it doesn't do
the refcard.  Any reason that refcard.dvi or refcard.ps aren't listed
as targets for dvi or latexps?

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust.

* Re: Gnus.tar.gz/.tex files
@ 1998-04-19  1:55   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-19  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> H> Not too well versed in using Latex commands but have been able to
> H> make nice .dvi files from 'refcard.tex' that comes in the /etc
> H> directory of untarred gnus-5.6.4 .
>
> refcard.tex is the only file you run latex on.  (Incidently, I think
> you mean the text directory of the untarred dist?)

Thanks

Actually 'texi' is what I meant to type.

> gnusref.tex is loaded by refcard.tex.
>
> postamble.tex is used in the DVI version of the manual.
>
> H> It would be nice if a word or two of direction or instruction were
> H> included somewhere in the tar.gz, concerning making use of the
> H> files provided.
>
> Well, make dvi in the texi directory should do it, but it doesn't do
> the refcard.  Any reason that refcard.dvi or refcard.ps aren't listed
> as targets for dvi or latexps?

Is there some way to tell which ones are stand alone files like
refcard.tex seems to be and which ones are part of something else.

I thought I remembered there being two versions of the gnusref one being
very brief and the other just brief, so I took these two files to be
those renditions.

--

@ 1998-04-19 18:25 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-04-19 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS -- is there a refcard.tex or gnusref.tex available that is newer than
> gnus-5.5?

  How many versions of 5.6.4 are there out there? The recard.tex in my
gnus 5.6.4 texi directory is for gnus 5.0, although I note the version
that comes with Xemacs 20.4 is later.

  What gives?

--
Mike.

* Re: Gnus.tar.gz/.tex files
@ 1998-04-19 19:02   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-19 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > PS -- is there a refcard.tex or gnusref.tex available that is newer than
> > gnus-5.5?
>
>   How many versions of 5.6.4 are there out there? The recard.tex in my
> gnus 5.6.4 texi directory is for gnus 5.0, although I note the version
> that comes with Xemacs 20.4 is later.
>
>   What gives?

Sorry, I meant 5.0.

--

@ 1998-04-24 20:34   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Well, make dvi in the texi directory should do it, but it doesn't do
> the refcard.  Any reason that refcard.dvi or refcard.ps aren't listed
> as targets for dvi or latexps?

Nope.  I'll add them.