* no forced authinfo in 5.6.2?
@ 1998-03-08 20:46 Steinar Bang
       [not found] ` <m3iupil26f.fsf@sparky.gnus.org>
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-03-08 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just looked at the nntp.el in 5.6.2, doesn't seem to be any code
there looking for some way to force authinfo on an NNTP server that
doesn't ask for it.

Was this dropped because people disagreed with the proposed syntax?

* Re: no forced authinfo in 5.6.2?
       [not found] ` <m3iupil26f.fsf@sparky.gnus.org>
@ 1998-03-14  0:06   ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-03-14  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (...) force authinfo on an NNTP server that doesn't ask for it.
>
> Well, I didn't feel it was resolved.  Should I add a "force" tag?

If nntp-authinfo-file is .netrc-compatible just because you wanted to
reuse existing code to parse .netrc:

  I don't see any reason *not* to send authinfo to a machine mentioned
  in .authinforc.  If I have an authinfo password there, why would I
  want not to use it?

  (Our NNTP server does not ask for authinfo, but it does not give me
  the department's private group unless I send authinfo.)

If nntp-authinfo-file is .netrc-compatible so we can point it to .netrc:

  Bummer.

  * I can't have different FTP user/password and NNTP user/password
    on the same machine.

  * If I insert `machine some.server login hbf password newspassword',
    then the `ftp some.server' command will try to log in with my NNTP
    username and password.

  * If the same machine has a trusted FTP maintainer and an untrusted
    (unknown/experimental/...) NNTP maintainer, and it has my FTP
    password in .netrc, then the NNTP maintainer can ask Gnus to send
    him my FTP password.

  Maybe this format will fix it:

    machine some.server      login hbf password ftppassword
    machine nntp/some.server login hbf password newspassword

  As above, I don't see any reason to not send the NNTP password if you
  use this format.

  OTOH, maybe some FTP implementations will barf on the 2nd line, since
  they know that hostnames don't look like that.

  (BTW, I used `/' instead of `:' because I've heard IPv6 hostnames may
  contain `:'.  Or maybe they can contain `/' too?)

--
Hallvard

* Re: no forced authinfo in 5.6.2?
@ 1998-03-16 19:22     ` Edward J. Sabol
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1998-03-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (14-Mar-98) Re: no forced authinfo in 5.6.2? by Hallvard B Furuseth
> If nntp-authinfo-file is .netrc-compatible just because you wanted to
> reuse existing code to parse .netrc:
>
> I don't see any reason *not* to send authinfo to a machine mentioned
> in .authinforc.  If I have an authinfo password there, why would I
> want not to use it?

I thought the same thing, but Lars convinced me otherwise:

From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-03-17  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]
> Besides, I also see many advantages to this syntax. When people post
> to the mailing list asking how to make Gnus automatically send
> authinfo for certain servers, I will get a great thrill out of
> replying to them and writing "Use the FORCE tag, Luke!" :-)

Indeed. :-)

I caught a bit of flak from the "point and click" generation about
Gnus needing Emacs lisp customization to be about to force authinfo on
a server, and this sounds like a good line to throw at them at a later
stage...

> Please go ahead and implement it, Lars.

Yep!

* Re: no forced authinfo in 5.6.2?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-19 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> If nntp-authinfo-file is .netrc-compatible just because you wanted to
> reuse existing code to parse .netrc:

No, the main reason was just to use a format that I thought would be
familiar to people.  The .netrc format seemed a likely candidate.

* Re: no forced authinfo in 5.6.2?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-19 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> Besides, I also see many advantages to this syntax. When people post to the
> mailing list asking how to make Gnus automatically send authinfo for certain
> servers, I will get a great thrill out of replying to them and writing "Use
> the FORCE tag, Luke!" :-)

It's too good a pun not to use, so I've implemented this in Gnus 5.6.3.

* Re: no forced authinfo in 5.6.2?
@ 1998-03-20 10:44       ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1998-03-20 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

>> If I have an authinfo password there, why would I want not to use it?
>
> I thought the same thing, but Lars convinced me otherwise:

Oh well.

> I think you miss the point. You *can* point gnus-authinfo-file to your
> ~/.netrc, but you don't *have* to.

Right.  Good argument against the two points you quoted, but not against
the one you skipped:

  * If the same machine has a trusted FTP maintainer and an untrusted
    (unknown/experimental/...) NNTP maintainer, and it has my FTP
    password in .netrc, then the NNTP maintainer can ask Gnus to send
    him my FTP password.

Users *will* copy setup files from more experienced users, or choose
options that feel nifty, without reading up the details about each
option.  A program should *not* offer nifty-looking security holes like
this, unless it makes sure to throw a warning in his face.  Require him
to put `macdef no-nntp-security-warnings' in ~/.netrc to shut it up, or
something.  Presumably he won't copy another user's .netrc:-)

>> Maybe this format will fix it:
>>
>> machine some.server      login hbf password ftppassword
>> machine nntp/some.server login hbf password newspassword
>
> Yuck.

Yup.  But it's the least ugly way to handle authinfo-file=~/.netrc I can
think of.

--
Hallvard